Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!! >

Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!!

Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
When you get to the bigger pieces on the outside, you can "prepiece" them. Join two fabrics to make an edge long enough to cover the raw edge on the previous piece and then join the oieced unit to the wuilt.
As I was reading along, this is what I was thinking as well, maybe even incoroprate blocks you may have stitched as samples for other projects that just didn't make it - - - I sure hope you post your piece when done!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:05 PM

Of course it will work, but the outside pieces will begin to get pretty big. But that's OK. You know you have to cover all the seams with some sort of fancy stitches, lace, etc and you have to put a spider web and spider somewhere in the mix. I know from experience that it would be easier to make the quilt in smaller blocks, say 14 to 16 inches, but what you are proposing will work. And if you con't like the big pieces on the outside, you can always cut it into smaller blocks and sew them together again. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by dotski View Post
how about a crazy quilt but only make 1 very large contunius square. say big enough for a lap quilt. start in the center and just keep sewing and flipping pieces of fabric. what's your honest opinion. do you think it would work ? how would you do it ? on just a foundation piece of fabric then layer batting and backing or stitch with the batting already on or with batting and backing already layered ? i'm boared and this is what happens i get crazy ideas..........
Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
As I was reading along, this is what I was thinking as well, maybe even incoroprate blocks you may have stitched as samples for other projects that just didn't make it - - - I sure hope you post your piece when done!
LOVE that idea i have alot of sample blocks i made and r just sitting there. was going to make a sample block quilt for myself but i like this idea better..........
Old 08-14-2012, 01:44 AM

how about a crazy quilt but only make 1 very large contunius square. say big enough for a lap quilt. start in the center and just keep sewing and flipping pieces of fabric. what's your honest opinion. do you think it would work ? how would you do it ? on just a foundation piece of fabric then layer batting and backing or stitch with the batting already on or with batting and backing already layered ? i'm boared and this is what happens i get crazy ideas..........
dotksi, I used the technique for a wall quilt. I was inspired by an old panel for a jumper from the 90s. It had sewing items on the portion for the back. I used that for the center & then used the decorated wide portions (that were for the skirt ) on the outer edges. It was really cute & was raffled off at my guild
Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM

I attempted that but it didn't really work too well. Then I just used office paper 8.5 X 11 and that worked much better.
Keeps everything much straighter and no ripping out. Am saving recycled paper from my printer mistakes for another one.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM

Google antique crazy quilts and you'll probably see some does this way.

Last edited by marymm; 08-14-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:10 PM

You can do a quilt as you go with all the layers if you keep it small, table topper size. Anything larger you'll want to foundation piece it so you can get where you need to go as you work your way around. To get away from log cabin framing, try lopping off a corner to change up your shape. Another way would be to create wonky sqares the all end up ----inches and then join them. Possibilities are endless. I created some great purses from left over quilts this way.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:19 PM

My Mom did her crazy quilts this way, but I was to young to know how she did them. I just remember us having them &, I remember she had even used curved scraps from the clothes she made. Times like this I really miss her. I'd like to ask her how she did them. Our's were big enough for a bed.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I remember having a crazy quilt it was 50 years ago - I remember studying it trying to figure out how it was done. I think it was all one big pieced piece.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 PM

Have at it. It's your quilt to design as you please.