Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tell me what thimble you like best and why.

I am going to the quilt show tomorrow and I need a new thinmble for hand quilting. I have all metal ones and they hurt my finger after a few hours of quilting. The leather ones seem to wear through for me too fast. What do you use and why do you love it??

I have worn out 3 of the metal ones that leave one side open so your fingernail is out. The last one I got is a little thicker but the same thimble and I love it. I was so proud of myself when I wore out my first thimble hand quilting !! Then I knew I was a true hand quilter !! I think I ordered it from Keepsake Quilting but most QS carry them.

TJ Lane Thimbles. I like them because they are the ONLY and I mean only thimble I have ever been able to use. They fit and they work. I can't tell you how many I have tried prior to trying the TJ Lanes. The price of them will give you a heart attack though!! They are sterling silver and run roughly about $100 each now. :shock: :shock:

http://www.thimbles2fit.com/cgi-bin/...mble_open_main

When I got mine the one I use on my index finger was $60. I actually had to think about it for a year! I saw them at a local show one year and the next year the vendor was there again so I tried it out again at the show, the vendor properly sized me and I bought it. I still had problems dealing with spending that much for a thimble for weeks. But after using that for several years I got one for my thumb and the price had gone up to $80. I didn't bat an eye because I knew this thimble worked for me.

Yes incredibly expensive but worth it as I will most likely never ever have to buy another thimble again. She guarantees them for life and if you wear a hole into them she fixes it for a nominal charge.

I like the light brown leather thimbles for handquilting. I pick up a few everytime I see them. They have a little plastic disk inside that keeps the needle from going through my finger. I probably have half a dozen of them currently in use all over the house. I have even cut one down to use on the thumb of my left hand as I quilt with both hands when using a frame. It's called a Skin Thimble.
    I wear them out but they are the most comfortable for me. I could never use a hard one. I find I can't even sew on a button now without wearing one.

I also have a TJ Lane thimble. I like it alot, but I also use my Roxanne thimble, which is relatively cheap in comparison. The Roxanne thimble comes in lots of sizes, so it's easy to get one that fits.

Janet

Holy cow. I never knew you could spend so much for a thimble. Other then being silver and pretty why these?

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Holy cow. I never knew you could spend so much for a thimble. Other then being silver and pretty why these?
    They fit and they work. At least for me. They actually size them like a ring. I have never had a thimble I could use until I got this one. Although, I had not tried the Roxanne. Believe me I thought LONG and HARD before spending so much on a thimble and I take care of the two I have so they aren't misplaced like so many other things in my life! (car keys, glasses, the spatula I just used to flip my pancake a second ago) :lol:

What part of the thimble do you use to push the needle? I use the top or end of my finger. I have seen people who use the pad of their finger.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    What part of the thimble do you use to push the needle? I use the top or end of my finger. I have seen people who use the pad of their finger.
    I am a fingernail quilter by nature so when I use the thimble I end up using the top part right about where that lip comes up and nests inside your fingernail. I have never used the pad of my finger area. When not using a thimble the shaft of the needle is balanced against the tip of my finger with the eye end set into my fingernail. So when I use the thimble it is always the top but more often the dimpled area that nests behind the fingernail.

d
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    TJ Lane Thimbles. I like them because they are the ONLY and I mean only thimble I have ever been able to use. They fit and they work. I can't tell you how many I have tried prior to trying the TJ Lanes. The price of them will give you a heart attack though!! They are sterling silver and run roughly about $100 each now. :shock: :shock:

http://www.thimbles2fit.com/cgi-bin/...mble_open_main

When I got mine the one I use on my index finger was $60. I actually had to think about it for a year! I saw them at a local show one year and the next year the vendor was there again so I tried it out again at the show, the vendor properly sized me and I bought it. I still had problems dealing with spending that much for a thimble for weeks. But after using that for several years I got one for my thumb and the price had gone up to $80. I didn't bat an eye because I knew this thimble worked for me.

Yes incredibly expensive but worth it as I will most likely never ever have to buy another thimble again. She guarantees them for life and if you wear a hole into them she fixes it for a nominal charge.
    That is the one I have too and I got it at a quilt show....best investment. It cost me $80 and was worth every cent. Because it is silver and I hadn't used it for a few months it tarnished, but a little toothpaste shined it up beautifully.

I use the pad. I had to read "That Perfect Stitch" to learn how to use the Roxanne thimble. She recommends the pad of the finger, and once I started using her method my stitches came out better.

Deidre McElroy, Roxanne's daughter, claims that using the top of your finger is ergonomically bad for your hand. I don't know if that's true, but I do know I don't have any hand problems when I quilt.

Janet

Blog Entries
    I don't quilt in a frame, so I like to use a tailor's thimble. It's an open-end thimble and I love it. Here's a site that shows them.

http://www.csosborne.com/no510.htm

When I needed to learn to hand quilt for a specific project, I began a long search (many $$$) for what, to me, was a thimble that was comfortable. I finally ended up using the little leather pads that you stick onto your finger, placing it in the perfect spot. These I love. They last me quite a while too and price-wise are reasonable. I've been using them happily for about six years now. I've turned several friends onto them too. They fit under long nails, are fine without long nails, don't shift, don't squeeze, all the things I disliked about other choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni-in-Texas
    I don't quilt in a frame, so I like to use a tailor's thimble. It's an open-end thimble and I love it. Here's a site that shows them.

http://www.csosborne.com/no510.htm
    LOL. I use those too, because I quilt in a frame. I put it on my thumb and it lets me quilt away from myself. :)

Janet

I use the ThimbleLady stainless steel thimble and love it. I migrated from using the top of my finger to the pad and do find it much more comfortable. The s/s thimble is about $30. They have them in sterling silver as well but even though I did wear a hole in the original one I bought I decided to continue with the stainless as it is a stronger metal than sterling. If you go to their website they explain how to measure for the correct size for you. I use my middle finger for pushing and use the M/L size and it works very well.

I use these cheap ones from Hobby Lobby (though I recently stocked up at a quilt show)

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/thimble-714303/

I get the small ones - I have small fingers, but they fit pretty snugly. I like it that way, though. They're flexible, so they don't hurt my finger or slip off.

And I can lose one without having a total heart attack.

Believe it or not, I tested several other thimbles (but not any over $15) at that quilt show, and stuck with the cheapo ones I already used. For the price, they can't be beat, and I preferred the feel.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    I use the ThimbleLady stainless steel thimble and love it. I migrated from using the top of my finger to the pad and do find it much more comfortable. The s/s thimble is about $30. They have them in sterling silver as well but even though I did wear a hole in the original one I bought I decided to continue with the stainless as it is a stronger metal than sterling. If you go to their website they explain how to measure for the correct size for you. I use my middle finger for pushing and use the M/L size and it works very well.
    The Thimblelady thimble is also available in plastic, which is nice if you want to try it out first.

Janet

I have 2 Roxanne thimbles that I got at my LQS and I love them. They are sized to fit your finger and they are very comfortable. I think I paid $50 each for them

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just found this post, sorry k. I was taught the only finger you use a thimble on is the middle finger, not the index. And I LOVE my Roxanne thimble. I can forget it's there, and it is open on the top so that I can have long fingernails too. They are a bit pricy, but worth every penny!!! K3n also recommends them highly.

I never could get used to using a thimble, so Im not much help. But I do collect them!

I probably have a dozen thimbles and my all time favorite is a plastic advertising thimble. Don't even know where I got it. It's the only one that really fits nicely. It's heart attack city if I lose track of it.