Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97 >

Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97

Terrible mistake- [Update] - All Fixed - See Post #97

Old 08-24-2013, 10:23 PM

Beautiful quilt. I too agree with maryb119. I don't think it will take too long. Another idea is to hand sew the pieces correctly over the blocks, but the red will show through the white. I've done that but with different colors.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Reb

Originally Posted by vivnme View Post
Wow, what a lot of suggestion on this. Reading through them I thought that more people said pick it out (Maybe that's what was in the back of my mind all the time) so I figured I would go with that. Then I did a spreadsheet to see which one had the most suggestions and that is what I decided that would do. I was surprised to see it was almost 50-50 to pick it out or leave it alone. Other great suggestions of appliqué's, poems and labels.

Penny hall, you made me cry, thinking of all those soldiers that have fought and were wounded to protect us. When my daughter read it, she also cried.

So now I'm still confused.I read the mission statement on the quilts of valor and thought the least I could do was correct this. I love this quilting board for all the wonderful suggestions and help.

Soccertxi, I have never done anything like this before, so I was very grateful for your suggestions on how to pick it out. So, tonight I think I will start picking. Thank you all
Glad to have participated in this. I've learned some things from the responses. So thank you for sharing ths delemma. You made a great choice, it was your own. After all, it is a Quilt of Valor. Any decision to move forward to contribute a quilt is the right one. Blessings
Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I agree with the applique. So it won't look like an after thought I'd do an eagle and perhaps another or two other American symbols. I definitely would not rip out the quilting. Good luck.
I second this suggestion. BTW, the quilt is beautiful!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you can call it the broken star quilt. Is it going to a soldier that has been broken, too. The quilt is whole. The soldier will be whole again - just maybe not perfect again. I think I would leave it.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:25 AM

I can't really explain it, but there is something about an imperfect quilt that moves me in a way a pristine, perfect quilt simply does not. (Not to say perfect quilts don't move me, they do! But imperfect ones have a special quality all their own that touch my heart in a unique and wonderful way.)

I know you have decided to pick out and redo, and that is fine! But if you were to leave it, I think it would make a very powerful quilt and be all the more valued and treasured by the recipient.

Either way, it is an exceptionally lovely quilt!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 AM

Glad to read you've decided to correct the quilt after you seen the mistake. I would definitely fix the error too IF I noticed it. It would bother me that I didn't give 'my best'.

Please post pictures when finished.

Nan
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 AM

Oh man don't you just hate it when things like this happen? But you know this doesn't look that bad. Only you can decide if you can you can live with this. Your quilt is lovely by the way.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:06 AM

Just finished taking all the quilting out and turning a panel around... had it in upside down !!!...not as bad as I thought it would be to fix..frustrating but fixable....you are not alone...
Old 08-25-2013, 04:18 AM

I'd probably make another section just like the portion that is turned around and carefully applique it down (with a turned under edge), then turn the quilt over and use the quilting on the back of the quilt as a guide to re-quilt that section. If you stitch the appliqued section very close to the edge, and then quilt it, it will be barely noticeable. Good luck with your decision and the outcome. I know it's so disappointing when this happens
Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by vivnme View Post
Wow, what a lot of suggestion on this. Reading through them I thought that more people said pick it out (Maybe that's what was in the back of my mind all the time) so I figured I would go with that. Then I did a spreadsheet to see which one had the most suggestions and that is what I decided that would do. I was surprised to see it was almost 50-50 to pick it out or leave it alone. Other great suggestions of appliqué's, poems and labels.

Penny hall, you made me cry, thinking of all those soldiers that have fought and were wounded to protect us. When my daughter read it, she also cried.

So now I'm still confused.I read the mission statement on the quilts of valor and thought the least I could do was correct this. I love this quilting board for all the wonderful suggestions and help.

Soccertxi, I have never done anything like this before, so I was very grateful for your suggestions on how to pick it out. So, tonight I think I will start picking. Thank you all
WOW, I am so impressed with you. Can you please let us know how long it takes to make the correction? What a lesson you have taught us. From now on, I am taking a picture of my quilt top before basting and examining row by row.