Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
THIMBLE BLUES >

THIMBLE BLUES

THIMBLE BLUES

Old 09-10-2010, 03:21 AM

I have the same problems! All the thimbles fall off, then there I am, scrambling on the floor, on all fours, trying to find the darn thing! Course, as old as I am (66) THEN I have problems getting UP! lol
The other day I saw some rubber fingers, wondering how well they would work? I believe it was on Fons & Porter, I'll have to check again. GOOD luck!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 AM

My son gave me a leather thimble for christmas, its great! I have used in the past 3 layers of duct tape on my finger when I couldnt find a thimble around the house.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:49 AM

There are a couple of options you can try:

1. Line your thimble with a layer of surgical tape. I try and make sure it's as flat as possible, and trim it so nothing hangs out beyond the thimble.

2. Stuff a little quilt batting in the thimble.

Sometimes if I need a little extra "glue" to keep the thimble from slipping, I'll lick my finger before I put the thimble on.

If you use the thimble for hand quilting, you might look into a Roxanne thimble - they come in lots of sizes.

I also have this link. I have never done business with them, but they do have yummy looking thimbles - not all of them expensive! - and a section on sizing thimbles: http://www.thimblesetc.com/index.html

Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:49 AM

This is my favorite thimble and it comes in Petite
:http://www.createforless.com/Collins...e/pid8604.aspx

Good luck in your search :-D
Old 09-10-2010, 06:52 AM

You could try a self stick thimble. It's like a sticker for you finger. It has a raised cross hatch pattern for pushing your needle through. I've seen these in LQS's. They are oval in shape and come on a sheet, a couple of sheets per package. I have the same problem of small fingers. these are great cause you don't to worry about slippage, sweating or loosing them.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sew Krazy Girl
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'll certainly research them. I've tried the vinyl thimble, but not the leather one. The thimble ring fits but the needle slips. (Don't you just hate a cry-baby!) However, San Diego has a quilt show next week. I should go and look for one there. But I still will look into your suggestions. Thanks again. San Diego here I come!
Have you tried a Tailor's thimble? They are open on the end and seem to fit better. Have to learn to use the side of thimble but has worked very well for me. Carol Doak taught us to use them when learning hand quilting. Can't do without it now.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 PM

To work well as you know your thimble needs to fit. I had one made from this woman.

http://www.thimbles2fit.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi

I saw her as the San Diego quilt show a couple of years back but I am not sure if she still comes. I love my thimble.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 AM

I also use the leather thimble and LOVE it!! One of these days I hope to have my finger calloused enough not to have to use any thimble like my DM, but until then!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 AM

My choice is the Clover open-sided thimble. It comes in either a small or medium size, is adjustable and metal. You can get thme from catalogs, KMart, LQS. These are all I use. I have several so I can keep one in each bag I use. They cost $10 or $11 ion most places.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

Whack a metal thimble's open end with a hammer to make it oval. It will fit your finger.