Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: THIMBLE BLUES

I also have small fingrs and do a lot of hand quilting. The adjustable one works for me, it is metal, and stays right on my finger, and I know it didn't cost much monry.

I make my own thimbles; it's quite easy. I purchase thin leather gloves at a thrift store, cut about an inch off the fingers (these tips are my new thimbles).The seam can be opened and hand resewn to fit your finger perfectly. Where the needle hits on the outside, I insert one of the clear plastic adhesive ovals (available in quilt stores) on the inside. I use the remainder of the glove to make side thimbles, which I use to hand piece, using the Jenny Byer method.

Isn't it amazing how our brain sees what we meant to say when we preview our message. Then we send it, read it on the board, and see all those typos.

I use leather thimbles - they are longer but have an elastic band that crosses over on your finger to hold it on. Look into them - they may work.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    I still have the very, very small thimble that I used when I was a little girl so I know small ones can be found. I like all of your suggestions. I have my Grandmother's and Great-Grandmother's sterling thimbles and they are both a bit to large. I thought I got my large fingers from my Dad but guess it was also from my Grandmother.

I agree - always keep a pkt in my sewing/travel box don't need to find one rolling under a couch or whatever - they last all day until you remove them.

I purchased finger tips used for office work. They do not stop a needle from coming through, but they do give great gripping power and can be purchased in small sizes at very low expense. Look online or in WalMart or other local stores that carry some office supplies.

I need a small thimble, and use a size 7, sometimes I still have to line it with moleskin and some I can just lick my finger and it will stay. Found out short fingernails help hold the thimble on the finger too. At shows, I have seen more sizes available, look for a child's thimble.

Carol J.

You must try Clover thimbles
    http://www.createforless.com/Clover+...utm_medium=cse

These will not fly off your finger even if you shake your hand, I could not do without my rubber thimble. YOu can google "rubber thimble" and look for one with a metal tip or the one named "clover thimble" you will never regret it!!

I have the same problem. I have a leather thimble that has a stretchy material that goes over the finger. Works for me.

Roxanne's Thimbles fit all sizes from very slender to fat. They are a little pricey, but mine was the best investment I made in a long time.

I do have thin fingers, as did my mother -- we also have long fingernails.
    I had a child's thimble and it fit but was on the 'short' side, still it worked for years. My mother had an old one as well. then I found antique thimbles. You can often find them at antique shows, on line, and on eBay.
    I am sure you would like to try on first so at your next quilt show, there will undoubtedly be a fancy thimble dealer. Try on several until you get a good fit and either order one (an expensive gift to yourself) or as if she will write down the size and style you would like and then you have something to go on.
    I have found the very old ones come in ore small sizes and i have one that is erfect for long fingernails.
    good luck, Mary

Fona & Porter makes a smaller thimble. I always had a difficuilt time finding one small enough until I bought their's. It is leather and red and has a metal area where the need touches. I love it! I have tried other leather ones and even tried shrinking them and it wouldnt work. But Fons and Porter's does work. Hope it does for you also!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyHanaDa
    I don't know the name of this tape but,

The wrap that the clinic puts around your arm when they draw blood works wonderful...

You cut several layers to pad the end of your finger then use some of the wrap to secure the pads you cut to the tip of your quilting finger.

I too can not find a thimble of the right fit, works like a charm.
    iT'S stretchable gauze bandage - and what a wonderful idea. I use this stuff on my embroidery hoops, but I never thought to use it to keep my thimble on! thanks!

Have you tried putting tape on your finger that will then enlarge your finger. It is worth a try. I have done that for other things and it works so give it a try ---unless of course the end of your finger is very very small. Is there such a thing as thimbles for children who sew I wonder?

SEW CRAZY GIRL-- if you go to SD and El Cajon. there is a cool quilt shop that may be helpful. I went there all the time when I lived SD and they were really nice people who worked there and always helpful. My quilting buddy and I would always go there on our girls day out. The address is
    ROSIES CALICO CUPBOARD
    7151 El Cajon Blvd # F
    697-5758
    Is the show the one they have in Del Mar each year? I really miss going to that one. It was alot f fun. Have fun..Ravonda (grew up by Sea World)

Look in the first aid section of your local drugstore. They sell a spongy bandage material that sticks to itself. I put a thin layer around my finger and slide the thimble over it. Works like a charm and the thimble doesn't fall off.

Try this: get some sculpy or fimo, roll it out, wrap your finger, put a top on it, cut it to size, bake, and presto!

Its a custom thimble, exact to size. :)

Hi, I have just gotten a TJ Lane thimble. It is wonderful! They are custom fit to your finger. They work with you to make sure you have the proper fit. They are expensive but well worth the money if you quilt by hand all the time as well as using it to put your binding on. Two websites you can look at. The first one is the lady I bought mine from: www.thimbleplus.com. The second one is the lady who actually designs the thimbles. Her website has all the different designs available. These are sterling silver and guaranteed for life. These are also the thimbles that Jinny Beyer and Alex Anderson use. TJ's website is: www.thimbles2fit.com.

Hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    Look for the leather ones. They have elastic that you could 'take up' with needle and thread. I love my leather thimble, I have exzema on my fingers so anything that makes them sweaty, also make them sore. The leather breathes nicely. I made my first one, cause I did not know that I could buy one. Mine was much more primitive. :oops:

Stick on leather patch. Put it right where the hole would be. Ask for Thinmble Pad by Colonial. I keep one stuck to the needle case in every carry project. You use it over and over.

I buy the rubber thimbles and then a metal thimble on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sew Krazy Girl
    How do I solve this problem? Apparently I have thin fingers, especially fingertips.

My problem is I can't find a thimble that will stay on my finger. Nails are clipped, so that's not the problem. Have tried inserts, but they get gummy. Yuck!

I've bought several "small" thimbles, but still too big. What do you all do who have thin fingers?

Does anyone have a source for finding thinner thimbles? I'm singing the blues because my finger is sore and blue. :roll:
    I have the same problem. All the thimbles at the LQS & fabric stores in town seem to come in S M & L. Even the S is to big for me. Until I found a thimble that worked for me I could only take 1 stitch at a time.
    One day I found some thimbles at a consignment store. A whole new world in hand quilting opened for me. My stitches are smaller & I can take up to 4 stitches at at time & still be consistent.

I recommend that you find the right thimble for you. It'll make all the difference in the world.

Try breathing into the thimble like you do when cleaning your glasses. Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by brightstarquilter
    Hi, I have just gotten a TJ Lane thimble. It is wonderful! They are custom fit to your finger. They work with you to make sure you have the proper fit. They are expensive but well worth the money if you quilt by hand all the time as well as using it to put your binding on. Two websites you can look at. The first one is the lady I bought mine from: www.thimbleplus.com. The second one is the lady who actually designs the thimbles. Her website has all the different designs available. These are sterling silver and guaranteed for life. These are also the thimbles that Jinny Beyer and Alex Anderson use. TJ's website is: www.thimbles2fit.com.

Hope this helps!
    I agree. I do a lot of handquilting and have 2 TJ Lane thimbles. One fits when my hand is swollen (arthritis) and the other when it isn't. They adjust them to fit perfectly. I have quilted through one of them twice and they fix it for free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast