Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimbles >

Thimbles

Thimbles

Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 AM

My mother could not sew without them and always wanted me too but I really can't.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

No. Never knew that they existed. Will look into it. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 AM

I don't use a thumb thimble, but I do use a thimble on my middle finger. Either a Roxanne or a TJ Lane, I have 4 TJ Lanes, they are the greatest. I use the Roxanne when I have problems in pushing the needle through, it depends on the batting. Yes, I have put holes in the TJ Lane, but send them back to TJ Lane and they repair or replace. They are the greatest, I really prefer the fit of TJ Lane over the Roxanne, I guess, I feel that I get what I pay for.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 AM

I use a finger cot on my thumb and a leather thimble on my middle figner. I don't have to push needles through I just grab the needle and pull it through like butter. No problem and no poking!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 AM

I use a thimble on my middle finger. :D
Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 AM

Yes, I was taught to use them when I started quilting my first Hawaiian quilt. I was using a 36" hoop and the teacher said rather than turning the hoop all the time, i needed to learn to use the hoop. It is easy and so convenient when needing to go backwards or sideways. They are also called tailors Thimbles and you can get them at their supply stores. Don't know where they are? ask a shoe repair man!!! :) Jan
Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Oops, I'm getting out of here and you people are scaring me! I don't hand quilt, and have no desire to. Enjoy your thread without me. :-)
Aw! Come on, give it a try. It is the most relaxing time, I get lost in thought and just relax when I quilt. I absolutely love it. Jan
Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
Originally Posted by KimS
Originally Posted by KimS
Does anyone use a thumb thimble? There are times when I'm quilting I get to a point where I use my thumb to push the needle through. As you know the eye of the needle also goes into my thumb and that hurts!!! I saw one that was like a ring and had a small cup type part on it where the needle would rest when it was pushed through.
This is what I saw.
This is what I use.
I use the cheap little pink thimble with the open back so my nail can stick beyond it. They are usually too big when I get them so I put it in boiling water for a minute of two and then take it out and put it on and squeeze it to fit. Works for me!!! Jan
Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 AM

I use a thimble on my middle finger as I haven't found one I truly like for my thumb. Before using thimbles wear them on your finger for several days so you get used to them. I use a feather weight thimble it is harder to find but less than $10.00. They are ring sized and have a heavy flat top with a ridge. I love mine and use it all the time. I also collect thimbles and small sewing kits. I found one the other day at my LTS it is an advertising one form the 1st National Bank of Arizona and has a piece of felt for the needles and pins then a braid of 16 different colored threads to sew with and a pair of scissors! In a very neat folder the size of a pocket comb. I just love my little treasures.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 AM

I use my acrylic nails...