Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimbles >

Thimbles

Thimbles

Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Melody
I love my Roxanne thimble!! I have large fingers and wear it on my middle finger which means it fits my thumb very well. I find it easy to thumb quilt when I'm at the big frame or the quilt stand by my comfy chair. The Roxanne has some weight to it. It is by no means flimsy and actually feels like I'm wearing jewelry! I got mine on sale in Shipshewana, Indiana for $22. I could not pass that up and glad I didn't.
Heck no you couldn't pass up $22!! Really happy to hear you got it at such a wonderful price.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Actually I bought 2 of them. The supply was very limited, of course. So the second one is a tiny one that hardly fits my pinky. So I wear it on chain as a necklace. The second one is gold plated. The one I use is the Sterling one. I do love them both. :-D
Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 PM

I used a thimble until my cat decided to claim it, haven't seen it since, lol.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:22 PM

I have had the same thimble for a very long time. I have several others that I cannot use. I am a hand quilter so a thimble is a must for me. I would love to get another one but have no idea what size to get. I keep thinking I'll see some at a quilt show like the Roxanne and haven't. I like in fear I will lose mine.I use the thimble on my third finger and actually wore one out. I went right through it to my finger, not fun. It was bent a bit and I used it in the same spot I guess. I do not like the silver ones that have the long grooves on the side. I feel like I'm slipping with those.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by JCL in FL
I have had the same thimble for a very long time. I have several others that I cannot use. I am a hand quilter so a thimble is a must for me. I would love to get another one but have no idea what size to get. I keep thinking I'll see some at a quilt show like the Roxanne and haven't. I like in fear I will lose mine.I use the thimble on my third finger and actually wore one out. I went right through it to my finger, not fun. It was bent a bit and I used it in the same spot I guess. I do not like the silver ones that have the long grooves on the side. I feel like I'm slipping with those.
You can go to a jeweler and use their sizer to find what you'll need. You can also measure the finger yourself. Here's a link for a printable sizer. http://www.atlantisring.com/free_ring_sizer.aspx
If that doesn't work for you try this link. http://www.freeamericanbiker.com/ring-size-finder.pdf
You measure 1/2 way between the cuticle of your nail and the first knuckle on the finger of your choice. Roxanne said to add 1 size when ordering the thimble. Mine is just a little big but I think it will be fine for the summer months but I'll need to order another one a size smaller for winter. Hope this helps. :-)
Old 04-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by sylvia77
I used a thimble until my cat decided to claim it, haven't seen it since, lol.
I know exactly what you mean. :lol:
Old 04-11-2011, 05:11 PM

I bought a cheap pair of heavy leather work gloves and cut the fingers out and make thimbles. Works for me - I have large hands and I like longer thimbles.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:43 AM

Fons and Porter web site has thumb thimbles they come four in a package and I use them all the time on my left thumb. I wonder if quilting with the left hand is why we have a need for these. I was constantly poking myself with the needle until I found these.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by KimS
Originally Posted by dd
I think I have tried every shape, size and material thimble out there. I have longer nails and really like cheaper version of the Roxanne, haven't been able to bring myself to buy one yet. Then I'll be afraid I'll loose it. I have a thumble, used that for a while. I also keep a rubber finger on my index finger, like the mailman uses, so when my needle gets stuck in the quilt with too many stitches on I can pull it thru. Now I just use it all the time and I don't have to struggle with the needle going thru seams or anything.
That's a good idea! :thumbup:
You could try to get a thimble cage to keep your thimble safe around your neck. When my husband had a silver thimble made for me, that's where I keep it on a silver chain.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 AM

A thimble cage?? I like this idea... where do you get these?

Melody