Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things that annoy me about sewing >

Things that annoy me about sewing

Things that annoy me about sewing

Old 01-13-2024, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
as I mentioned in another thread, when the top thread pulls out as I start (machine) sewing, because I did not make sure the needle was at the top. You would think after 50+ years of sewing I would know better.
Yeah, that one really bugs me, probably because, "I know better, but don't do better" (a quote from my grandmother).
(Also because,I have to get out the extra glasses to re-thread the needle.)

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 01-13-2024 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:43 AM

I quilt for myself it makes me happy to create something and keep me sane. As I start to run out of people to give quilts to I have started doing quilts for charity (Project Linus & Quilts Beyond Borders), I find I have lots of fabric that works for 3 yd. quilts which are perfect to gift to charity.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
While I'm piecing a block, I lose one of the pieces I've cut out! Where could it go? I know I saw it just a second ago. I check the floor, my lap, under the cat, under my block in progress. I usually find it , but i have had a few times, the fabric just disappeared.
Guess that makes me a magician! ;0
I know where it is! You sewed it together with it's cousin...look for a double layered piece in your block!
Old 01-13-2024, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
What annoys me is not finding my scissors, or my rotary cutter, depending on what I am working on at the time. I am right handed, I make a conscious effort to put my scissors or cutter in the same spot on my table, and for some reason, at times I reach for that spot, not there, huh..... Drives me nuts. I swear the have legs.
After l kept losing mine " under" things or between table & counter ( only 2"!) I started training myself to put the rotary cutter up on the pegboard above my table...even if only for a moment. Scissors in drawer under table surface. After a week of training, l'm now able to find these ( and my squaring ul ruler , which hangs on pegboard) every time. 😊
Old 01-13-2024, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
as I mentioned in another thread, when the top thread pulls out as I start (machine) sewing, because I did not make sure the needle was at the top. You would think after 50+ years of sewing I would know better.
Yes, yes, yes! I had not thought of that, but oh how I grumble when that happens. Why can't I just give the thread a small tug to leave a thread long enough to not pull out of the needle?
Old 01-13-2024, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Oh dear, I have to disagree with you on number 4- I LOVE the sounds of a sewing machine humming! My husband does too. When I bring my FW out he says it reminds him of his grandmother sewing on her Singer. That's the only machine I use downstairs.

What drives me completely bonkers is not being about to find what I need, even though I'm the one who makes all the messes!

I have a large family and they are all quilt worthy so I'll never run out of people to quilt for. My goal is to give every loved one a quilt. I have a way to go.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:13 AM

I could almost repeat what you listed.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

When I am on a roll , and " someone" else interrupts me for something like fixing a meal.

That " someone " has gotten much better about being able to make a sandwich for himself now.

It has only taken about sixty years -
Old 01-13-2024, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

What annoys me is not finding my scissors, or my rotary cutter,
I don't look for them anymore. I have three baskets on my works table. Each full of scissors, cutters, and rippers. I take another out of the basket when the one I used seconds ago vanished. Solved that. Eventually they all turn up and go back in the basket.
Winding bobbins is annoying to me so now I buy prewound. Solved that.
Losing a small block pieces from cutting to sewing did happen a lot. I use small design boards to move the pieces. That works for me. Solved that.
Thread coming out of needle was a hassle! I bought a machine with auto cutter and that doesn't happen anymore. Solved that.
Seam flip when sewing pieces together is a real pain. I put piece of tape over the edge of the raised plate and no more flip seams. Solved that.
When something is annoying to me I look for a solution that works for me. Why keep being annoyed with the same thing and not changing is more annoying.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

One thing that annoys me is that there are too many possible projects, so when a quilt is finished, I squander time trying to decide what to make next.

But the thing that annoys me most is advancing age. (I refuse to say old age, but I am 77 after all.) I can't sew as long as I want to, because my back and neck start to hurt.

But I have found solutions to some problems that used to bug me. To those of you who have a problem with the top thread pulling out of the needle, try sewing with leaders and enders. Or always grab the two threads from behind the needle when you start sewing. I solved the lint problem by changing to poly thread. Most of the lint comes from the thread, not the fabric. And like Onebyone, I keep a collection of seam rippers, scissors, and rotary cutters, because all those things are continually misplaced, found, and misplaced again.