Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things that annoy me about sewing >

Things that annoy me about sewing

Things that annoy me about sewing

Old 01-13-2024, 10:25 AM

What annoys me is having to stop and cook a meal for the family. Why do they have to eat EVERY SINGLE DAY??? 😆😆

Old 01-13-2024, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I retired early so didn't mind having meals ready but when my husband retired I said if you are hungry find, buy , or cook something to eat. I only cook when I want to. He discovered he likes to grill and smoke foods. The only prepared meal we have is a supper meal. I never prepared breakfast or lunch after the kids were 12. I worked all week so I wasn't about to cook all weekend.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:15 AM

Little annoys me about quilting. Love all the processes and I've learned that in my sewing room, everything has a place and it is where it is in easy reach. What is annoying is the way the prices keep soaring for fabric etc. And if I am looking for an acrylic template for an old pattern that no one seems to carry or make anymore.

Sewing garments is another thing. What annoys me the most is the air thin paper they are putting patterns on now and there are just too many sizes on that same air thin paper, that some of the sizes lines to cut on, converge into the the nearby lines of the other sizes, so you don't know where to actually cut.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-13-2024 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:33 AM

Not being able to adjust my tension when quilting drives me up the wall. All I have to do is wind a new bobbin, and the tension goes awry!
Old 01-13-2024, 04:24 PM

I find the perfect pattern, say for fat quarters, of which I have a ton. Oh I need nine. I'm sure I have enough. Turns out I have eight that are perfect and not one other anywhere that goes with the others. Happens every time. How can I have so much stuff and never have everything I need? Maybe ithe ninth is hiding with my seam ripper?
Old 01-13-2024, 06:31 PM

Years and years ago I bought a set of plastic feather templates in graduated sizes, all organized neatly and hanging on a chain. The last time I saw them they were in the room in which I quilted previous to my current sewing room. Now that I want to stitch a feather wreath on my current hand quilting project WHERE oh WHERE have they gone?? I have scoured my desk, the drawers, every inch of my sewing space. But -- no can find. Now THAT'S annoying!
Old 01-13-2024, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

The thing that annoys me the most is chain piecing a long chain of carefully held pieces, only to find out I ran out of bobbin thread long ago! That's the worst.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:17 AM

Default You may be right...lol

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
I know where it is! You sewed it together with it's cousin...look for a double layered piece in your block!
Thank you for your brilliant answer that when I lose fabric as I piece a block...it very well could be stuck to another piece of fabric cut the same size.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:54 AM

For me it's fabric that ravels like mad everytime you go to press it, even though I've used starch to press it before cutting into the needed shapes. Hate the time it takes to snip all those little darn threads.
I also hate the fact that for me, I jump to a new quilt pattern before finishing the one I was working on. So many UFO's....so little time.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:40 AM

• bobbins running out at the worst moment (is there a good moment?)
  • unthreading needle on first stitch
  • running out of background/ fabric
  • having to stop to take care of loved ones
  • gifting baby quilt w/o receiving TY note
  • not having the right color of thread
Nothing about the process is annoying for me, but I do alleviate boredom by switching around from cutting to piecing.