Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things that annoy me about sewing >

Things that annoy me about sewing

Things that annoy me about sewing

Old 01-13-2024, 04:16 AM

Default Things that annoy me about sewing

I'm sure for some of you sewing isn't always a skip down the yellow brick road, so I thought I'd share some things that annoy me and hopefully you would share back so I wouldn't feel like I was whining, lol.

1. Being ridiculously happy about wanting to sew but not having anyone to sew for

2. Wanting to sew a specific thing but not having all the materials required.

3. Not wanting to sew a specific thing but having all the materials required.

4. The sewing machine noise.

5. The week that JoAnn's has all the best coupons but I have nothing that I need to buy. Like today.

I would love to hear what annoys you about sewing, and also how you handle #1.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:32 AM

There is not much that annoys me about quilting, it is what helps me keep my sanity. As to not having anyone to sew for, have you considered sewing for a charity?
I ran out of quilt worthy people to give quilts to a long time ago, but, I continue to quilt because it brings me joy, I love keeping my mind and my hands busy. I have many quilts just waiting for their new homes, sometimes one comes across a quilt worthy person and it is nice to have a selection to choose from, or for them to choose from. My daughter has very specific instructions on what to do with all my quilts after I am gone. In the mean time, I will continue to make quilts and not worry.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:44 AM

I get annoyed at having to clean my sewing machine. It seems like it is always linty.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:49 AM

What annoys me is not finding my scissors, or my rotary cutter, depending on what I am working on at the time. I am right handed, I make a conscious effort to put my scissors or cutter in the same spot on my table, and for some reason, at times I reach for that spot, not there, huh..... Drives me nuts. I swear the have legs.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:54 AM

as I mentioned in another thread, when the top thread pulls out as I start (machine) sewing, because I did not make sure the needle was at the top. You would think after 50+ years of sewing I would know better.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:10 AM

While I'm piecing a block, I lose one of the pieces I've cut out! Where could it go? I know I saw it just a second ago. I check the floor, my lap, under the cat, under my block in progress. I usually find it , but i have had a few times, the fabric just disappeared.
Guess that makes me a magician! ;0
Old 01-13-2024, 05:36 AM

Occasionally, I will have a favorite tool vanish into thin air. If I buy a replacement, that's its signal to reappear.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:42 AM

Seam rippers. They are my nemesis. They DO have legs and the ability to become invisible at will--or someone is trying to make me think I'm going ga-ga. I have three in my sewing room at any one time. One on the ironing board, one beside my sewing machine and one in the cup that holds my marking tools. But many times, there are none to be found.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:52 AM

I have a t-shirt that says "It's all fun and games until the bobbin runs out" -- that's a big one for me!
Old 01-13-2024, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I quilt for my own pleasure at my own convenience. My mojo comes and goes and I just roll with it. I have other things in my life I enjoy even if that is just staring into space for a while. So nothing about quilting annoys me.