Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things a beginner should know? >

Things a beginner should know?

Things a beginner should know?

Old 03-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Thank you ladies! I am learning so very much just from reading your advice.

For my first project, I had decided on and started a lap quilt. I am working on the quilting portion of the project now. It won't be perfect, but it will get completed. I'm really enjoying the process, and I'm taking my time.

I had already purchased a good mat, rotary cutter, and rulers for my class. My sweet husband gifted me with a Brother PQ1500SL last week so I'd have a machine with ample throat space and attachments. I also signed myself up for the Sew Sampler monthly box to get me started.

Most of what I seem to be drawn to is Moda fabric, but I'm sure I'll branch out as I learn more about different companies.

Sue, thank you very much for the detailed instructions on cutting. I will be printing that out and taping it up in the craft room.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:06 PM

Oh lucky you! The PQ1500SL is a wonderful choice for piecing and FMQ. Please do share pics as you go

Christine
Old 03-27-2018, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Yes, you will find a lot of your paper crafting skills will be transferable.
Maybe even some of the tools, too.
Often times your instincts will be right, because of what you know already.

I think my biggest words of advice for a "newbie" is more general .......
Every time you are told "this is the way to do it", or hear "must" "only" etc.,
... remember to say to ask yourself, "but is it?"

Many times there really are a LOT of other ways, and very little is carved in stone.

You sound like you are off to a great start!
Now, go and find your way ... be open to ideas .... and most of all ENJOY!

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-27-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:45 PM

Welcome to the quilting world! It's a fun hobby.

I think one of the useful tips is to learn about how to *cut* accurately. In particular, when rotary cutting fabric, make sure the measuring line of your ruler is actually *on* your fabric. (If the line is next to your fabric, you will be cutting just a bit too small of piece of fabric.)

Like with any new craft, you will (inevitably) make some mistakes. Don't beat yourself up over them. As you proceed, you will improve and gain increased skills. When looking at something that is less than perfect, remember that most people will looking at quilts at a much further distance, and with a much less critical eye. A quilt does not need to be perfect to be attractive and enjoyed.

Pick quilting projects that make your heart sing. An attractive pattern and lovely fabrics make the work much more fun! As a beginner, don't feel limited to projects that are labeled for beginners. There are lots of folks that have tackled supposedly "advanced" projects early in their quilting careers; It's usually just a matter of carefully following the directions. There are lots of you-tube videos you can watch for learning all sorts of techniques.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:57 PM

It's critical to sew a consistent 1/4"seam. Without it, things don't match up, points get lost and sizes are off. Practice until you can get it right every time. Test your accuracy by measuring the width of 2 pieces you've sewn together and pressed open. Don't just measure the seam allowance.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Yes, you will find a lot of your paper crafting skills will be transferable.
Maybe even some of the tools, too.
Often times your instincts will be right, because of what you know already.

I think my biggest words of advice for a "newbie" is more general .......
Every time you are told "this is the way to do it", or hear "must" "only" etc.,
... remember to say to ask yourself, "but is it?"

Many times there really are a LOT of other ways, and very little is carved in stone.

You sound like you are off to a great start!
Now, go and find your way ... be open to ideas .... and most of all ENJOY!
You are so right about " but is it" I seem to find my own style, but I will attempt their s first. My only advise is STARCH. It has become my best friend, especially when dealing with triangles and small pieces. It helps with stetching
Old 03-27-2018, 08:38 PM

Strive for excellence but not perfection. No one is judging your work but you so be kind to yourself. Keep a picture of each quilt or project you make (start a binder) and list pattern name and date and any other details you want to keep track of. I always write the fabric collection and who I gifted/donated the quilt to. This is wonderful way to show your growth in your craft... Most important, have fun and be inspired by others so you can inspire in return...
Old 03-28-2018, 01:58 AM

Lots of great advice, so I will offer two.
One: try not to buy everything you see, hear about, think you wanna do one day, I truly wish I had started by purchasing just what I needed for each project/quilt. Finish that project BEFORE I started another. Rather than just buying willy nilly everything that caught my eye. Then YOU won't be looking around your sewing room saying "what was I thinking?
Two: a great quilter who started/helped found the Quilters of South Carolina once said "No matter what, It is your quilt, do it your way" That one phrase freed me from the "the quilt police".
I hope your venture into quilting will be rewarding and give you a great sense of accomplishment the rest of your days.
Happy Quilting
Murphy
Old 03-28-2018, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
It's critical to sew a consistent 1/4"seam. Without it, things don't match up, points get lost and sizes are off. Practice until you can get it right every time.
This was going to be my response to your post as well... It took me a few tries to master my scant quarter-inch and it made a huge difference in my piecing.

Welcome to the QB...you’re gonna love it here, the members are so helpful and friendly. Happy quilting.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:24 AM

I wish that I hadn't spent years crawling around on my hardwood floor basting and/or pinning my quilts. I only use basting spray now.
As someone above said, your tastes will change so don't accumulate a huge stash (like me!).