Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things a beginner should know? >

Things a beginner should know?

Things a beginner should know?

Old 03-28-2018, 03:27 AM

I really agree with these two suggestions.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:31 AM

Have patience. My first quilt (100 yrs. ago) took me 3 years to finish. .. self taught. ... simple squares ... machine quilted, in the ditch ... ! It now takes me 2 to 3 days to make a baby quilt ... not a great job, but they are colorful and keep babies warm. LOL! Just relax and have fun.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:04 AM

Start with simple patterns - squares, rectangles and move on to more difficult - triangles, diamonds, etc.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
Start with simple patterns - squares, rectangles and move on to more difficult - triangles, diamonds, etc.
I agree and recommend the pieces be a larger size (like 9.5 or 10” squares).
Old 03-28-2018, 04:29 AM

I am a newbie to quilting also, after sewing, papercrafting and embroidering for years. One of the BEST guides I found is a small book, First-Time Quiltmaking, Learning to Quilt in Six Easy Lessons. It truly is learning the basics, shows great illustrations, gives tips, etc. I like it too because it not only explains terms, but illustrates them. Here are the lessons listed: Beginning Basics, Preparing the Fabric, Sewing Accurate Seams, Assembling the Quilt Top, Making the Quilt Sandwich, Finishing the Quilt. I have gifted this to my small group of Beginner Quilters as well.
Hope this helps!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:00 AM

For as many members here, you will get as many hints/information. Some contradidory...just pop some popcorn, get a steno notebook and good pen, put your feet up, and go to YouTube, and go to quilting sites...my personal gurus were eleanor burns of quilt in a day and the original Fons & porter.....don't try to digest all boom to once.quilting is a ever evolving experience. You have to find the techniques that work the best for you-much trial and error, but then you find your "way" - which may change along the way, as ways are always being streamlined....have fun, don't try too hard things to begin with- crawl before you walk!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:09 AM

There are no quilting police! You get to choose your colors, your patterns, border, etc. You will find which ones you prefer and you will get better with your points and layout as you make more tops. BUT - you do need to work on doing 1/4" seams. If you do not do these correctly, they will cause you fits forever! Just a tiny bit off adds up across the row. As for other things like stretching and pulling, you will learn. If you can join a group, you will learn an awful lot in a short time. But, word of caution, if you visit a group and do not feel like you fit in - LEAVE. Keep looking until you find one that you gel with and they will be the most valuable tool you can get. HAVE FUN!!! and WELCOME!!!!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:15 AM

There will be about 50% of the quilters who disagree with this advise, but after spending money and time on fabric, launder it first. I don't use detergent, but do use color catchers. I put the machine on "hand wash." The reason for all of this extra work is to prevent shrinkage after the quilt is finished. Cotton will shrink! Then it pulls against the thread and weakens the fibers around the threads. Colors will bleed onto each other too. This helps prevent that from happening the first time the quilt is washed.

Shrinkage happens with the hot pounding dryer. If you plan to line dry your quilt forever, you probably could skip this important step, but after all the work, money and time involved, it is better to be safe.

Your steam iron will not shrink the fabric. It is the pounding that shrinks it. Steam irons stretch the fabric.

I have been fortunate to find what I need with discounted prices. It is still an expensive quest, but so rewarding, making quilts. Blessing to you, and jump right in.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:06 AM

I agree with Patrice on the starching. I CANNOT get an accurate 1/4" seam without it.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:30 PM

The best advice to get you started is to pick up any of Eleanor Burns pattern books (available online either new or used) to get you going. She invented the idea of “assembly line sewing” and it will start you out organized and help you stay that way. Also a design board of some kind also helps keep you organized, for a long time I just pinned to my drapes until I got a design board made. The last thing I will say is if you get stuck, come here and ask your question. People here are very generous with their time and knowledge. Welcome to our obsession and the quilting board fro Oregon.