Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things a beginner should know? >

Things a beginner should know?

Things a beginner should know?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 AM

I came to QB having quilted a bit but not a whole lot. I took a couple technique classes but mostly just worked on my own. Starching fabric before cutting and sewing has been one of the most helpful things I've learned. Also using washable glue stick to get the corners/points to match is sooooo helpful.

I would also recommend joining a guild. I just joined one last fall and the camaraderie and amazing talent in the guild is just wonderful. I'm looking forward to attending more of their workshops and bees.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:56 AM

Thank you all so much for the tips. I will be looking to see if there's a quilting group in my area.

It seems that a lot of principles from my paper crafting hobby also apply to quilting when it comes to safety and stash building.

I'm off to Google now and see what the glue stick is used for!
Old 03-27-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
My first class totally skipped the importance of pressing direction for seams...
My life (and my quilt blocks) would have been so much better had I known about nesting seams.
Good luck and enjoy!
Nesting made a huge difference in the quality of my quilt tops. Another tip that I wish some had mentioned earlier is to reverse the stitch direction when sewing long stripes together to prevent curving. In other words sew from top to bottom on stripe 1 and 2, then when you add the 3rd stripe sew it from bottom to top. Hope that makes sense. I'm not sure if this has a proper name or not.

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:19 AM

The importance of cutting accurately, and being uniform in the method you choose to cut.

There are different ways to cut, generally speaking the most accurate cutting does not utilize the grid lines on the mat, rather the grid lines on the ruler only is used. I use a two ruler method as follows:

1) Use the smallest ruler possible to cover all of the fabric you need to cut. This is your "cutting" ruler.
2) Use another ruler that covers 2/3 of the other ruler (or fabric). This is your "measuring" ruler.
3) Lay fabric flat on your cutting table with the edge to be cut to the right hand side.
4) Lay your cutting ruler along the right edge of the fabric with a little bit of fabric showing to the right of the ruler all the way down.
5) Cut along the ruler, this is your "straight line" (note - if you are working with directional fabric, you may have to finagle the ruler placement to get a straight edge that matches the print on the fabric).
6) Slide your cutting ruler to the left of the straight edge.
7) Using your measuring ruler, find the measurement you wish to cut. Place the ruler on the fabric to the right of the cutting ruler, and slide the measuring ruler to the right until the measurement you want is on the straight edge. You will want the right edge of the measurement line to just cover the straight edge.
8) Slide your cutting ruler to the right until it butts up against the measuring ruler.
9) Keeping you left hand on your cutting ruler to keep it in place, remove the measuring ruler with your right hand and pick up your rotary cutter.
10) Again, keeping the cutting ruler firmly in one spot, make your cut on the right side of the cutting ruler.

By staying uniform I mean ... always measure with the same ruler (or brand of rulers), the cutting ruler doesn't make a difference. Also, make sure you always measure the same way .. ie make sure the measurement line on the measuring ruler is always in the same place on the fabric when you measure.

I learned the above cutting instructions from Sally Collins, a quilter/teacher well known for her precision. I highly recommend her book and video "Mastering Precision Piecing"
Old 03-27-2018, 09:36 AM

Someones rules or tips are not for everybody...I don't like to pin so I do very little pinning. For me the most important is precise cutting and quarter inch piecing. I started cutting with scissors until I learned about the rotary cutter. I found that lessons helped me more than books in the beginning because I have to see it being done, I am a visual learner and I like to ask questions of why it is done that way. Some like to build a stash and some don't, some wash fabric before starting a project and some don't.

One thing I wish I had known is that there is a quilt police....but they have no authority over you. Just enjoy the journey and it is ...your journey.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:37 AM

measure twice, cut once
Old 03-27-2018, 10:02 AM

Welcome to the board! Great "must know" ideas already listed.. my $.02

Before I list anything else I must emphasize how very important having the help & wisdom found on this quilting board has been been for me and I'm sure it will be your best resource as well!

- expect it to be a costly craft
- 3 most important things so a machine works it's best is to always use good quality thread & needles and the proper bobbins (never go cheap on these three things)
- quality of fabric matters - not to imply cost always = quality
- accurate cutting is necessary to have accurate results - invest in a good cutting mat, rotary cutter and rulers (try to stay with all one brand of rulers)
- always, always, always do a test to check for proper seam allowances before diving into the project as it's easy to be 'slightly off' but that multiplied becomes 'way off' when putting it all together. And use the fabric/thread/needle that you'll be using in your project to test.
- patience, patience, patience and practice, practice, practice
- expect that it will take longer than you might initially calculate to 'finish' your project

Personally, I have learned the most by sticking with a project to see it through to completion - forces you to figure out the stages of the process and get practice.

My first project was a simple chevron pattern baby quilt - easy and perfect.

My second project was a more complex design and push of my skills - it came out well (not perfect but just fine for me!)

My third project that I'm working on now has taught me the most - it's the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt - On Ringo Lake. Bonnie's mystery has really taught me to measure & cut precisely, to ensure proper seam allowances, the importance of having the right tools (example: a specialty ruler) and, not to forget, how to select colors/fabrics for a project which is not always as simple as you might think!

I think a great way to learn is to be active in the different "swaps" on here and certainly ask questions and monitor the board because there is a wealth of info exchanged on here regularly.

Have Fun!

Christine

Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 03-27-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:02 AM

Start small. Pick a small project (lap quilt, perhaps) to get the thrill of finishing something you started. Not too small, though, as small pieces can be quite challenging to work with , especially for a beginner. I began with a class using Alex Andersen's book "Let's Start Quilting" and we did the sampler in there. Learned several different blocks in a few weeks.

Use the best tools you can afford.

If you don't like what you're working on, press through. There's usually a moment (or several) in every quilter's project that she is not happy with the fabric choice/pattern/techniques etc . Instead of giving up, though, quilt the thing. You will like it better later. If you don't, donate it.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:00 AM

My quilting class at the college 26 yrs ago never told me how to square up my blocks so every thing goes together nicely. Also they did not teach the correct way to do the corners of the binding.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

avoid making commitments/promises to others of items until you have finished a few items.