Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: think back...

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    when you were younger, do you remember someone in your family making quilts or doing hand work?

Blog Entries
    My Grandmother on Dad's side made and tied quilts.
    My Great-Aunt, who had Cerebral Palsy, did all kinds of beautiful embroidery work.
    My Mother cross-stitched.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My mother and I made a king size quilt together when I was 10. It's the only quilt I remember. My one grandmother crocheted everyone in the family "Granny Square' afghans.

I carried on the tradition of the afghans for a while.

Now my granddaughter has a Granny Square afghan I made her for Christmas '09 and a quilt I made her for Christmas '10!

Mom and two of her sisters made beautiful quilts by hand---hand pieced, hand quilted, gorgeous!

My paternal grandmother made quilts on the machine--beautiful in their own way.

Nope!
    Aunt, grandma, and mom made clothes (and doll clothes) but don't remember anyone ever knitting, quilting, or any handwork. Had to teach myself.

My mom's mom and dad made quilts and I still have mine. It is about 30 yrs old. or older. My dad's grandma made me a quilt for my first birthday.Double wedding ring and I still have it. its over 40 yrs old. Did not want to give away my real age. I till everyone I am 39 and holding. hehehehe My mom makes quilts.

Blog Entries
    Until she lost her eyesight my grandmother always did hand work, mostly crochet but also some knitting.

No, but apparently my grandmother did knit and crochet. I just wasn't there to see! Not a quilter to be found anywhere in the extended family.

My Mom, Aunts and Grandma would do quilting on a regular basis together. My Mom and my Grandma are deceased and my aunt does not quilt anymore. I tried to pass the quilting craft on to my daughter, daughter in law and Grandaugters but they lost interest in it.

Blog Entries
    My grandmother was part of a quilting bee. That is what she called it. Several of them would sit and work on the same quilt.

My mother did some knitting, but I don't remember anyone but myself doing any sort of sewing, embroidery or cross-stitch work. We did a little sewing in both junior school and high school, but I am largely self-taught.

My mother made 2 quilts when I was older, I guess she had to wait until the nine of us were on our own to have any time to herself !!!My SIL sewed alot but not any quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    when you were younger, do you remember someone in your family making quilts or doing hand work?
    On my mother's side, my grandmother made quilts although I don't remember ever seeing her sew. My one aunt who had a serious hearing problem "trocheted". She used to make lace around handkerchiefs, and make those lace trimmed pillowcases with the lady with the petticoat trimmed in lace. I used to love to sit beside her and watch. I attribute my love of crocheting doilies to her. My other grandmother on my dad's side had a treadle sewing machine and evidently sewed at some time in her life, though I don't ever remember seeing her use it. I made a pair of baby doll pj's on it with stitching so close together that the fabric wore out long before the stitching ever did. And of course my mother made everything when I was little. She also knitted.

Yep, Mom, Sister, Neighbor next door, 1 Grand, and Great Grand and a whole lot of Great Aunts on both sides, and a few cousins still do. Some Hand others Machine.

My mother and grandmother knitted a lot, Mom also did crochet and different kinds of embroidery. I think Quilting wasn't known at all in Germany when I was young!

As far as I know I am the only quilter in my extended family. I was never exposed to quilting as a child.

Blog Entries
    I grew up wearing the clothes my Mama made. She made pillows, tablerunners and etc. She was a cross-stitch expert in your young days. What I do remember is that she use to make quilt tops, I didn't know that is what it use to be called when I was young. Through the eyes of a child, she would attach it with a bed linen and a blanket, and sew it like a large pillow - her quilt piece on top, of course. Turn it inside out and then proceeded to stitch together. We never heard of the word quilting. It was called using scraps and making it to use. It took me so many years to understand what she was doing - Quilting.

Blog Entries
    My Dear Mom made all of my clothes. Both of my Grandmas and my Mom embroidered and made doilies. I began embroidering and crocheting at a very young age. I really miss it.

My grandmother and my aunt made quilts but we didn't live close enough for them to teach me. My grandmother also crocheted and some of my other aunts did as well. When we visited it was usually a holiday and they had all that put away.

My Grandma on mom's side made a crazy quilt and hand embroidered each block. She finished it in 1979 and left it to me because I was the only granddaughter who sews and would appreciate all the work she put in to it. She made most of my clothes and her own and loved to sew. My Grandma on my Dad's side was also a seamstress. She did hand work like embroidery and hand stitching. My mom is also an excellent seamstress. I grew up around sewing.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    My mom sewed clothes, but never did any quilting, knitting or anything like that.

Never knew either of my grandmothers, but there was always in our home a beautiful white, pink and green quilt that my great-grandmother made. I have always loved it and now I have it in my home. I think that was my inspiration to start quilting.

I learned quilting by doing - and reading directions from a Better Homes and Gardens magazine quilt pattern in the 70s.

My grandmother and mother were great crafts people. Crafts included spinning, knitting, sewing/dressmaking, crochet, embroidery, rugmaking using hessian sacks. Old jumpers were ripped to get the yarn for the rugs.

Blog Entries
    My mom and grams were both sewers. I remember in 8th grade Home Ec, the assignment was a quilt. That night Mom brought out the clothing scrap bag, we removed buttons for the button can, cut the shirts up into large pieces. Make a 5 inch template out of cardboard (recycled) and cut squares for a patchwork quilt. My mom had this quilt on her bed forever, now its earned retirement in the hope chest. It was so exciting shopping for a new sheet for the backing when I finished the top! What a precious memory Mom gave me...

My mom taught me to embroider, her mother tatted, her sister knitted.
    Mom's grandmother, aunt and cousin quilted. another aunt that crocheted. Her great uncle was a tailor.
    My dad's aunt was a seamstress. She did beautiful beading on cloths. I don't know about the rest of his family.
    Her cousin was the one who taught me to sew.
    I can also knit, crochet (husband's grandmother taught me), weave. I still make cloths for myself and daughters.
    My husband's step mom was in charge of a clothing factory. She started on the sewing floor.

My mom made clothes, for us and for my dolls, did cross stitch and other embroidery, crochet and all manner of crafts. Never quilted, though.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast