Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think back... >

think back...

think back...

Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 AM

My mother did some knitting, but I don't remember anyone but myself doing any sort of sewing, embroidery or cross-stitch work. We did a little sewing in both junior school and high school, but I am largely self-taught.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM

My mother made 2 quilts when I was older, I guess she had to wait until the nine of us were on our own to have any time to herself !!!My SIL sewed alot but not any quilting.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
when you were younger, do you remember someone in your family making quilts or doing hand work?
On my mother's side, my grandmother made quilts although I don't remember ever seeing her sew. My one aunt who had a serious hearing problem "trocheted". She used to make lace around handkerchiefs, and make those lace trimmed pillowcases with the lady with the petticoat trimmed in lace. I used to love to sit beside her and watch. I attribute my love of crocheting doilies to her. My other grandmother on my dad's side had a treadle sewing machine and evidently sewed at some time in her life, though I don't ever remember seeing her use it. I made a pair of baby doll pj's on it with stitching so close together that the fabric wore out long before the stitching ever did. And of course my mother made everything when I was little. She also knitted.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Yep, Mom, Sister, Neighbor next door, 1 Grand, and Great Grand and a whole lot of Great Aunts on both sides, and a few cousins still do. Some Hand others Machine.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 AM

My mother and grandmother knitted a lot, Mom also did crochet and different kinds of embroidery. I think Quilting wasn't known at all in Germany when I was young!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

As far as I know I am the only quilter in my extended family. I was never exposed to quilting as a child.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 AM

I grew up wearing the clothes my Mama made. She made pillows, tablerunners and etc. She was a cross-stitch expert in your young days. What I do remember is that she use to make quilt tops, I didn't know that is what it use to be called when I was young. Through the eyes of a child, she would attach it with a bed linen and a blanket, and sew it like a large pillow - her quilt piece on top, of course. Turn it inside out and then proceeded to stitch together. We never heard of the word quilting. It was called using scraps and making it to use. It took me so many years to understand what she was doing - Quilting.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

My Dear Mom made all of my clothes. Both of my Grandmas and my Mom embroidered and made doilies. I began embroidering and crocheting at a very young age. I really miss it.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 AM

My grandmother and my aunt made quilts but we didn't live close enough for them to teach me. My grandmother also crocheted and some of my other aunts did as well. When we visited it was usually a holiday and they had all that put away.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 AM

My Grandma on mom's side made a crazy quilt and hand embroidered each block. She finished it in 1979 and left it to me because I was the only granddaughter who sews and would appreciate all the work she put in to it. She made most of my clothes and her own and loved to sew. My Grandma on my Dad's side was also a seamstress. She did hand work like embroidery and hand stitching. My mom is also an excellent seamstress. I grew up around sewing.