Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think back... >

think back...

think back...

Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM

My Mom sewed but never did any quilting until my first DD. She used pre-quitled panels and made quilts for her grands. My maternal grandmother quilted, but I don't have an memories of her quilting. She lived in VA, where my Mom grew up, and we only got to visit in the summer for a week. My paternal grandmother also quilted I don't remember her quilting either. I do remember a large wooden frame that hung from her living room ceiling.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
when you were younger, do you remember someone in your family making quilts or doing hand work?
My aunt made quilts as wedding gifts whenever anyone in the family got married. I also remember, as a kid, sleeping under a heavy (but very warm) quilt that was made out of old clothes. All sorts of clothes... some were rather scratchy as I recall, but none the less, I wish I had that quilt today.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 PM

My grandmothers made clothing - the older one (born 1888) on a treadle (which I inherited!). The older one also crocheted - but by the time I came along, she was only making doilies. Couldn't tell you if she ever made an afghan, but I don't think so. My younger grandma (born 1904) sewed for her three daughters, and was capable of recovering furniture.

My girlfriend taught me to crochet when I was 17 and we were hippies. That's what hippie girls did, you know. :-) So I've crocheted over the years. She went on to making purses and skirts; I, however, stuck with blankets and shawls.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

My grandmother made me clothing
Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 PM

My great aunt hand quilted from frames that hung from her ceiling by the fire. My grandmother quilted also by using all home made patterns and all of the old dress and shirts she could find.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM

My grandmother quilted back in the 20's-30's. She died at 81 when I was 6, I was her youngest grandchild. I remember sleeping under a patchwork quilt when staying over at her house. I loved to play "match game" with it, finding one fabric and trying to find the others that matched it. My mother just saw them as old bed coverings for poor people, even though we were not far from poor, and didn't care for them after grandma passed on. Mom knew how to sew, embroidery & crochet, but saw them as a chores back in the 50's. She didn't see that stuff as art, relaxing, fun and she didn't teach me. I had to learn from Home Economics in high school. God bless the Home Ec. teachers, the ones that are left, they don't teach that stuff in school anymore. I've done my part though and have taught my DD's and my Girl Scout troop, back when my girls were younger, basic sewing & needlework skills. :)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

My maternal grandmother was a milliner by trade and a crafter by choice. She apparently had the talent and drive. What she didn't have was patience to teach my mom. Unfortunately, my grandma died when I was only 2, but I KNOW that I inherited her love for fabric and craft.

Since my mom has an aversion, I just had to teach myself some crafty skills. However, my mom is an unbelievable word-smith. She is very creative with the rhyme.

Now my maternal grandfather was a blacksmith and a craftsman in his own right.

My paternal grandma quilted and crocheted but I wasn't close to her. My paternal grandfather was crafty in assorted media. My biological father used to be a painter and he is a master gardener.

Come to think of it, with all those creative genetics - how could I not be creative in some way?!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM

My grandmother used to make quilts and i would help her by basting the pieces of a yoyo quilt and making the little circles for her, i loved going through her fabric and her button boxes. When we went to visit her she would tuck us in and have so many quilts on the beds that once tucked in we coldn't move from the sheer weight of those quilts. LOL!
It always gave me comfort, feeling like i was wrapped up in her love.:)
I have one of the yoyo quilts that i helped her with, she was never able to finish it, she got very sick from breast cancer about that time and wouldn't seek treatment for it. I cherish that unfinished quilt and it will be passed down to my oldest granddaughter, hopefully with her help making some of the circles the cycle of life will continue and the love of quilting will be passed on to her and her grand children. That yoyo quilt is a wonderful reminder of the time my grandmother and i spent bonding by letting me help her and instilling the craft of quiltmaking into her oldest grand daughter as i am instilling into mine, so the circle of life continues.:)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

I come from a very prolific artsy/craftsy family! On both sides....
Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 PM

My mother sewed all of our clothes when us kids were small and my grandmother sewed all her clothes and crocheted dollies I have a quilt made by my great grandma And my grand ma on my moms side made her own quilts and tied them she had eleven children so every scrap from worn out clothes was used I rember how warm her quilts were And she had a horse hair couch with a bed in it.Great memories.