Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think back... >

think back...

think back...

Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Mom's side my Grandma Made quilts all hand done , crochet everything from pillow cases to bed spreads. Grandma on Dads side hand pieced and quilted. crochet, embrodied, and tating. Both taught me a lot. It seems I keep learning with every project I do, if not something new, than a new way to do it.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 PM

One grandmother made quilts. The other grandmother crocheted and never needed a pattern. She was one of those lucky ones who could look at something and figure out how to do it. Various cousins learned to crochet but they didn't keep up with it like I did. My aunt on my Dad's side quilts, needlepoints, spins, weaves...etc...
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 PM

grandmother on my Fathers side quilted all by hand. Her frame was 2 long poles resting on sawhorses. When she was using it they stoud up in the corner. She made one for all the grandchildren on their marriage. Wish I had not used it so much, but that's what she made it for.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Nobody in my family or any relatives ever quilted. That's probably why nobody realizes the amount of work that goes with it
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
tmg

No one in my family does any hand work. I'm the only one.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM

My paternal grandmother taught me crochet and embroidery.
Thanks to her I don't need a pattern book to crochet...just let me borrow a finished one. ;-)
Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 PM

I had one aunt who made those beautiful big doilies and kept them startched and looking perfect. My mother could knit, crochet, quilt and did embroidery. I am the only other one in my generation with any interest in quilting. My mother was knitting the cutest afghan when I was pregnant....you should have seen the look on her face when I told her I'd just found out I was going to have twins! Yes, of course she made another one.

All of my aunts and my grandmothers and my momma did handwork, quilts,knitting,& crocheting. I come from a long line of seamstress and good cooks ...did you guys ever notice that most women who do things with their hand in the fabric and yarn world can cook so good ....lol

my aunt crochet - esp like the crochet slippers she made me every christmas. she is gone now and I still miss her and the slippers. my mom knitted, as did her sister. i remember once my mom made me a dress - i was in grade school (at that time all girls had to wear dresses/skirts to school. no jeans, no pants, no shorts - my kids are just appalled when I tell them this) anyway, i was so upset b/c i didn't want to wear a home made dress- let alone a dress- was a tom boy so it was a fight to even get me in skirts. needless to say it was the only dress she ever made me
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
my aunt crochet - esp like the crochet slippers she made me every christmas. she is gone now and I still miss her and the slippers. my mom knitted, as did her sister. i remember once my mom made me a dress - i was in grade school (at that time all girls had to wear dresses/skirts to school. no jeans, no pants, no shorts - my kids are just appalled when I tell them this) anyway, i was so upset b/c i didn't want to wear a home made dress- let alone a dress- was a tom boy so it was a fight to even get me in skirts. needless to say it was the only dress she ever made me
Sometimes I wish the school dress code was back in force...
Dress to learn, not to play.
I also grew up in the age where it was dresses or skirts and blouses for girls and button shirts and pants for boys...all through to high school....and this was in Hawaii! Couldn't even wear the Muu muuu except on May Day. Times have cure changes.