Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think back... >

think back...

think back...

Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 PM

I remember my mother doing alot of hand=sewing (she loved doing hems) and some embroidery. Don't remember anyone quilting. But my grandmother crocheted rag rugs. My cousins and I still laugh about grandma "hooking" whenever she came to see us! I would give anything to have some of those rugs now.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 PM

I remember my mother doing alot of hand=sewing (she loved doing hems) and some embroidery. Don't remember anyone quilting. But my grandmother crocheted rag rugs. My cousins and I still laugh about grandma "hooking" whenever she came to see us! I would give anything to have some of those rugs now.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:45 PM

My step mother hand quilted and taught me how, I have several quilts done by her, and my kids have one apiece
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM

I slept under a quilt made by my grandmother. She taught me to sew simple nine patches by hand, never got as far as making a quilt, but it was my first intro to the process.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 PM

My great-grandmother made all of her grandchilden and great grandchildren a quilt. My pride and joy is one made by my grandfather's mother who died before I was born. We have dated it about 1860. By great-grandmother was one of the reasons I started quilting.
Susan
Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 PM

My mother knit and crocheted and always had something going. Maternal grandmother always made mittens for the church fair, paternal grandmother sewed. She gave me my first cigar box full of squares, a needle and thread when I was about 7
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM

I didn't know there was anything on a bed but quilts until I was in Junior High. That's all I ever and still have to sleep under. I remember sitting under a quilt on a frame threading my grandmother's needle's for her while she and her church group quilted. I have a Trip Around the World from her. My other gr mother died in 1937 when I was two, before she died she pieced a Diamond Field and a Double Wedding Ring for me, my mother finished it. I still use them off and on. My mother marked every quilt made in my Dad's family though the years. She & her sister passed a Grandmother's Flower Garden back and forth, 200 miles for 35 years, it's now on my bed. My mother made eight Rose of Sharon quilts and asked me to finished the 9th. I think I will start on that after I finish my grandson's quilt for high school graduation.

I have a photo book for both my mother and I with pictures of the quilts we have made.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

My maternal grandma taught me how to do embroidery and crochet. We tinkered in other things too!
My paternal grandma had made only a couple of quilts-but I did not discover it until after she died. But I did get the quilts, as I am only GD, and no one else was interested.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM

My mom was always doing hand work of some kind - she made all my clothes as well as her's - she knitted - my grandmother made quilts & crocheted
Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM

I went with my grandma to her church quilting circle every Thursday. The ladies hand quilted on a big quilting frame and taught me how to make those tiny stitches. My great grandma taught me to tat, and all of my school dresses had cross stitching around the skirt. Lots of handwork in our family back in the day.