Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think back... >

think back...

think back...

Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM

My mom sewed clothes, but never did any quilting, knitting or anything like that.

Never knew either of my grandmothers, but there was always in our home a beautiful white, pink and green quilt that my great-grandmother made. I have always loved it and now I have it in my home. I think that was my inspiration to start quilting.

I learned quilting by doing - and reading directions from a Better Homes and Gardens magazine quilt pattern in the 70s.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

My grandmother and mother were great crafts people. Crafts included spinning, knitting, sewing/dressmaking, crochet, embroidery, rugmaking using hessian sacks. Old jumpers were ripped to get the yarn for the rugs.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 PM

My mom and grams were both sewers. I remember in 8th grade Home Ec, the assignment was a quilt. That night Mom brought out the clothing scrap bag, we removed buttons for the button can, cut the shirts up into large pieces. Make a 5 inch template out of cardboard (recycled) and cut squares for a patchwork quilt. My mom had this quilt on her bed forever, now its earned retirement in the hope chest. It was so exciting shopping for a new sheet for the backing when I finished the top! What a precious memory Mom gave me...
Old 01-10-2011, 01:07 PM

My mom taught me to embroider, her mother tatted, her sister knitted.
Mom's grandmother, aunt and cousin quilted. another aunt that crocheted. Her great uncle was a tailor.
My dad's aunt was a seamstress. She did beautiful beading on cloths. I don't know about the rest of his family.
Her cousin was the one who taught me to sew.
I can also knit, crochet (husband's grandmother taught me), weave. I still make cloths for myself and daughters.
My husband's step mom was in charge of a clothing factory. She started on the sewing floor.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:10 PM

My mom made clothes, for us and for my dolls, did cross stitch and other embroidery, crochet and all manner of crafts. Never quilted, though.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM

No one in my family quilted. But they did sew. My mom made most of my clothes and mended all of them. She raised and lowered hems with the best of them. I remember my Grandma sewing with her hand crank -- but most of it was mending.
My mom crocheted. My grandmother knitted. I learned all three. I also learned how to draft patterns from my mom - that skill has turned out to be valuable more than I can say. In my early adulthood, I took my knitting and crocheting basics and taught myself to do more intricate work. Mom also taught me tatting. Being around all this sure had its influence on making me a crafter in several different ways.
Quilting, well that I taught myself. But by knowing how to follow patterns from garment sewing, it was an easy learning curve. Now my Mom is my biggest fan of my quilting.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Grma made tied quilts using gray wool blankets for batting on her Singer treadle machine..Talk about itchy LOL.

Not one of her 8 kids ever did any sewing or crafts.Neither do my DDs, so I'm a lonly only quilt top maker:-)
Old 01-10-2011, 01:40 PM

My mother and MIL both sewed and my mom did the most beautiful crochet work.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Yep my grannie, she was always whipping up something. Quilts, barbie cloths, table runners, dollies, wedding dresses, you name it grannie made it.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

No one made quilts. We never had any quilts. My mother knitted, did crewel embroidery and cross stitch. My aunt crocheted and sewed, and made most of my halloween costumes. My aunt has my grandmother's treadle from the 1920s but won't give it to me! I keep asking. She hasn't used it in years.