Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think back... >

think back...

think back...

Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 PM

The only person close to a sewing machine that I can remember was my Mom. She sewed curtains, dishtowels, doll clothes, etc. Nothing too complicated, and definitely not a quilt. We DID, however, have TONS of feedsacks, as my parents owned a chicken farm. If I knew then what I know now ...... :D
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM

My grandmother quilted, she also pegged jeans(in the James Dean days 50 cents a pair.) If she needed a pattern she would grab a newspsper hold it up to you and cut out a pattern. In her later years she would piece only and take the quilt to a quilter with what would have been a longarm. I remember the quilting was big loops. She made my first-born a baby quilt all stitches by hand, she was 80. The quilt is 43 years old.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM
jme

My grandmother and my Great Aunt Thelma!!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM

I am the only one who quilted. My mom made a blanket but never a quilt. My great grandmother died before I was born and she and her mother were quilters.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM

My mother sewed garments for the kids, crocheted, quilted, and knew how to tat, but I never saw her do it. She taught me to crochet and helped me with quilting after I was married, and I taught her to knit. We truly enjoyed showing each other what project we were working on. Our tastes in fabric were similar and once after a shopping trip I took a bag with some fabric in it and she told me that was hers. When we got to looking she had purchased a piece of the very same fabric and we had a good laugh over it. She has been gone for many years and I still miss being able to "show and tell" her what I have been doing. Now I am so lucky to have a daughter who does marvelous quilting and we get to share those things with each other.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 PM

My Nannie was a quilter. I learned alot from her: quilting, cooking, sewing, crocheting. She was the best. The only quilt I remember my Memaw making was a denim quilt from old blue jeans...but it was great too. I am so lucky to have had the influences from both my grandmothers: Nannie & Memaw. I am trying to pass on those same values & talents to my grandchildren.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 PM

I understand that both of my grandmothers quilted as well as my maternal grandmother's mother (one of my great-grandmothers). My Mom has a few quilts from her side of the family, but they are in really rough shape. My Mom sewed clothes and taught me how to sew, but she didn't quilt. I think I got the sewing gene from her and the quilting gene from my grandmothers!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Although my mom made quilts, clothing and all kinds of other good things, when I was not feeling well I would go to my grandfather's room and he would put me on his bed on top of an old horsehide cover backed with felt and then cover me up. When I woke up I would be soaked with sweat but I sure did enjoy his attention! He was one of the major influences in my life and we did some silly things together. I loved to sit on the wide arm of his old leather recliner with my arm around his neck and just veg out.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 PM

My Grandma on Dad's side made quilts and tied them...we would help her tie them, in the living room, stretched out on the frame.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

My Mom has always been a knitter. She's made beautiful things, including all my kids baby things that are stored away for them when they have their own someday :)
Mom wasn't much into sewing. I'm the only one who loves it :)