Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think back... >

think back...

think back...

Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 PM

no one quilted in my family but my Mum was always sewing, her main thing was repairs on the priests garments they used for mass remember always used to love playing with the very luxurious fabrics that she used
Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 AM

My mom always made my clothes, all of my little dresses were quite unique, Grandma also croched as well as my mom and knitted, they did cross stitch and embroidery and i learned from them and make beadworking, jewelry for my family on special occasions. My mom and grandmother were very talented women, in many crafts including pencil drawing. I inherited all of these and have used them in my life. I am very grateful that they passed their gifts on to me. smilles:)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:52 AM

My Mom made clothes, household items, doll clothes and she did embroidery. She taught me both skills and I fell in love with embroidery. It is still one of my favorites, today.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 AM

My father's grandmother wove rag rugs and taught me that skill when I was 9 .. she was 96 at the time. her daughter, my grandma, did hand piecing and quilting. My Aunt taught me to sew in 4-H and does upholstery. My grandmother on the other side just sewed her own clothes. My mom could do almost anything with textiles. She sewed our clothes till we were old enough to take over, crocheted a lot, embroidered when she had time. As we got older she got caught up in counted cross stitch and has made some phenomenal pictures and still crochets. And a lovely neighbor lady taught me the basics of tatting when I was in high school.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:53 AM

My father's mother crocheted. My mother's mother (who still lived on the farm) crocheted, hooked rugs, quilted, gardened, canned, and raised chickens and cooked. My mother had five sisters -- they all crocheted, some quilted, most sewed. My mother did some sewing, some embroidery, and lots of reading. I think I got her mother's genes. I have done hooking (rugs), macrame, crocheting, embroidery, gardening since I was about eight, made all my clothing for about 20 years and learned to knit six years ago and am now adding quilting to my skills. So I have stashes of macrame cord, yarn, embroidery floss, garden seeds and tools, thread, patterns and fabric. It is important to deversify and be well stocked/prepared.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 AM

My Grandma on Mom's side made all of us grandkids a "quilt",they were two pieces of fabric with flannel for batting and she would stitch our names on them by machine and use the fancy stitches to go around the edge of the binding and she did all of the mending.She had these quilts at her house that were squares of wool in shades of grey and black tied with red yarn very warm and itchy(would love to have one now,because of the memories),I don't know who made them.
Grandma on Dad's side did embrodiery,but never while us grands were there(which was every week day,she was our "baby sitter").
After I was married Mom and aunts took up crocheting for awhile.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:54 AM

MY mother and her family were, and are hopeless with their hands. My father's family shine...crochetters, knitters, tatters, clothes sewers but no quilters. I have a beautiful hand carved wooden box from my great great great grandmother who did wood carving. It was made to hold her daughter's crochet hooks. You can see the indentations of the hooks in the velvet lining. I also have some of her(the daugher) whalebone hooks, carved by her father on sea voyages As a crochetter, they are prized possesions. Maybe someday someone will treasusre my goodies....
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 AM

My grandmother made quilts for living even before I was born. I have some of the quilts she made for my mom and uncles.There was a quilt show of her quilts that people still had back when I was a teen. I'm 62 now. I wonder how many are still around?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 AM

my grandma made weaved blankets on her weaving loom...it took a whole room in her house...i remember helping her with it...she cut the fabric all by hand.....only used recycled clothes, blankets etc
Old 01-11-2011, 04:40 AM

All four of my aunts crocheted, my grandmother tatted and croched, one aunt was a fabulous garment maker, my mother sewed, crocheted, they all embroidered. My sister and I did everything except tat.