Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think back... >

think back...

think back...

Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 AM

I remember my father's mother, my aunts, my mother quilting quilts to use. My grandfather's "chore" was to keep the needles threaded as they quilted them on a frame hanging from the ceiling. My oh my, many years ago.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 AM

My Mom made a quilt and when the kids in the neighbor hood played dolls etc. we would all sit on the quilt. My Mom still has that quilt and it looks darn nice. My Mom also had 20 Dresden Plates that my Grandma made in the 30's. I had friend help me applique them and finished the quilt in 2008.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 AM

No quilters in my background. Grandmother taught me to cross stitch, crochet and knit.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:44 AM

My mother came from a family of linen weavers in Germany so all the women on her side going back for generations sewed, knitted and crocheted. My great grandmother knit stockings in the dark so sell and my own mother sewed for people, knit crocheted and quilted so my sister and I did too.

Carol J.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 AM

No one in my family does handwork. My mother, at some time in her life made 1 quilt which my baby sister (age 48) has. Mother pieced in on her old singer treadle (which I have) and hand quilted it terribly. It was made from old clothes from us 7 kids. Today when some of my sisters and brothers look at it they can still identify what clothes the fabric came from! We laugh and remember when.....

Roxanne
Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 AM

No...but my mother wasn't crafty at all. I taught myself to knit, crochet, etc. I taught myself quilting too. Read LOTS of books! :D
Old 01-11-2011, 05:55 AM

My mom quilted at 1 point because we had quilts. I'm the youngest of 4 and there was 13 &17 years between me & my brothers, 19 years between me & my sister.I do remember her making a string quilt when I was about 8 or so. I really liked the sewing machine and wanted to sew so she helped me cut squares of paper and I made my first string quilt. Made it for 1 of my dolls. She did a lot of sewing, crochet and embroidery as I was growing up but it wasn't until I was grown that she started quilting again. Her health was getting bad and she couldn't get out much. My dad even got into the act and helped her tie several quilts. I have a couple of their quilts and they are very special as both of my parents are gone now. My sister was an amazing seamstress but don't remember her quilting. Had an aunt who crocheted beautifully. Several woodworkers in the family but I don't know of many quilters.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Grandma made quilts with mom's help when I was little -
She also crocheted and embroidered as did my mom, and mom also made afghans galore.
My aunt tatted.

Another aunt did painting by number pictures and did great work on them - looked like a real painter when it was finished.

A distant cousin does the calendars with the glitter, sequins and etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 AM

My Grandmother taught me to embroider when I was six. I know she crocheted doilies, but never taught me. Other than the embroidery, all my other "skills" were self taught: knit, crochet, sewing, cross stitch, quilting, naking cards, etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 AM

My Grandmother taught me to embroider when I was six. I know she crocheted doilies, but never taught me. Other than the embroidery, all my other "skills" were self taught: knit, crochet, sewing, cross stitch, quilting, making cards, etc.