Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think back... >

think back...

think back...

Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 AM

My grandmother....but she quit when i was about 7? I still have 2 of her"s made when she was lots younger!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 AM

My Mother crocheted and made quilts, she would have the neighbors over to help quilt and I remembered playing with my dolls under the quilt frame.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Nearly every woman and girl I knew did hand work. We all made our own clothes. All the women in my family quilted, crocheted, and embroidered. My second grade teacher taught me to tat, and a neighbor tried to teach me to knit. I never did get the knitting down. I still have a pillowcase and dresser cover I embroidered as a teenager, and my first tatting project, as well as an early quilt block. I still do all these. Crochet, tatting, and embroidery travel well.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 AM

My stepfather (who adapted me at age 5 and became my dad) was previously married and still did handyman jobs for his ex MIL. He would often take me with him and while he worked she taught me needlework. I think she was happy to have someone that took an interest and wanted to learn. Dad also inherited two scrappy bow tie quilts...I loved to examine all the different fabrics. I guess I was destined to be a quilter!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Everyone on my mother's side sewed and my mother was wonderful at all types of crafts.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 AM

I was very lucky in the fact I grew up with both Grandmothers (they passed when I was grown) and two Great Grandmothers (they also passed when I was grown). One Great Grandma crocheted and the other tatted, did "cut work" and Huck Embroidery. I have things from both of them. One Grandmother crocheted with yarn. Grannie sewed, quilted a lot and crocheted with thread. She made tablecloths, runners, etc. and over 20 quilts. Her Mother quilted also. My Mother sewed, quilted and she was known for her knitted Christmas stockings. I started very young doing hand work and made my clothes starting at 10. I crochet (both yarn and thread), needle point, Swedish Weave, Huck Embroidery, quilt and sew. Like Grannie, I never just sit, always something in my hands.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Oh yes. My maternal grandmother was never without some sort of hand work. She picked up a crochet hook and some crochet thread and just went to work. No pattern. She also did embroidery, needlepoint, and quilts. My other grandmother was a knitter, but she also made beautiful ceramics. My aunt was a quilter and a knitter. My mother was an excellent seamstress.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

all the neighbor ladies, always on the porches in the summer, mostly knitting and crocheting. BUT>>>>
aunt betty the lady next door would sew every morning, and i would go over and she taught me how to sew at 3 buy sewing buttons onto fabric.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM

My maternal grandmother crocheted until she was well past 80. My paternal grandmother did the most beautiful cutwork embroidery. My aunt quilted by hand. Many of her quilts were also hand embroidered. I have sheet and pillowcase sets from the 40's that are such an important part of my life.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:30 AM

No one in our family did anything with quilting or crafting, I am the only one. I started as I remember in school elementary, I did a show with pupets I made and A box turned into a stage with curtains. I drew scence for different parts of france and the puppets talked about france, capital the effil tower . I made furntire I cover in fabric . From there as I got older I did craft shows, from wood to embroidery, to fabric. Now at the age of 63 I have decided to quilt and I have been doing it for a short time and really love it. As well as this site with great quilters to help me out.