Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think back... >

think back...

think back...

Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM

No one in our family did anything with quilting or crafting, I am the only one. I started as I remember in school elementary, I did a show with puppets I made and A box turned into a stage with curtains. I drew backdrops for different parts of france and the puppets talked about france, capital the effil tower . I made furntire I cover in fabric for the puppets to look like they were in their home . From there as I got older I did craft shows, from wood to embroidery, to fabric. Now at the age of 63 I have decided to quilt and I have been doing it for a short time and really love it. As well as this site with great quilters to help me out.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM

No one in our family did anything with quilting or crafting, I am the only one. I started as I remember in school elementary, I did a show with puppets I made and A box turned into a stage with curtains. I drew backdrops for different parts of france and the puppets talked about france, capital the effil tower . I made furntire I cover in fabric for the puppets to look like they were in their home . From there as I got older I did craft shows, from wood to embroidery, to fabric. Now at the age of 63 I have decided to quilt and I have been doing it for a short time and really love it. As well as this site with great quilters to help me out.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 AM

my grandmother did all sorts of hand work, knitting, tatting, croheting.. did make a wedding ring quilt for my parents (never made one after that)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 AM

My Mother did crochet, beautiful work, huge bedspread for a 4 poster bed, dolies, etc. She made almost everything she and I wore. I do all of that also, I can't seem to learn to tat. . . one of these days hopefully. I wish I had a neighbor that knew how.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 AM

My grandma quilted and both my sister and I would help tie them. She made quilts for all her grandkids and then the great grandkids when they came along. My three children still have the quilts that great grandma made for them. Years later my mom started quilting and she made them quilts....and now I quilt and have made quilts for all my children and grandchildren as well some nieces and nephews. It is so addicting, I love it.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM

When I was a little girl I remember my Mammy (grandmother) quilting for people. She had sawhorses set up in her livingroom with the quilt rolled on long poles. That is when I became interested in quilting. She also taught me to embrodery(the old way by hand). My Aunt taught me to crochet. I love all kinds of hand work.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 AM

My mom crochets. No quilting or sewing of any kind. My maternal grandmother did basic mending, but that's it.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 AM

Yes, my Mother was a quilter. I was never interested in this while growing up, but now that Mom has passed away I have learned how to quilt. What a shame I didn't have this desire while she was still alive. She also did crochet, embroidery work. I remember her mixing sugar water to starch things she had made crocheting. She did try and teach me to crochet, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. Betty Lee
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Not a famliy member but a lady I called Grandma Ballard she was my Grandma in all ways! I found out a few years agot that my olde cousin quilts and she wondered where we got it from too!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 AM

the only one i can think of would be my gramma and i thik it was all done by hand , we only saw her once a year because she lived out of state but i remember she had quilts on her bed and had some sewing stuff laying around,but my mom was very good at sewing clothes , and my sister follows in her footsteps they could see a dress or something in a store and go home and make the same thing!!