Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking about getting a serger >

Thinking about getting a serger

Thinking about getting a serger

Old 11-27-2019, 10:55 PM

Default Thinking about getting a serger

I have recently taken to making pouches (so cute) and perhaps later larger bags (maybe) and the one thing I notice is that I am not happy with leaving those unfinished edges. I have tried running the zig zag along the edges, and it helps, but just doesn't look as neat as using a cut surged seem.

I have never touched a serger in my life, and just checked Amazon on pricing. It seems one of the cheaper and popular models is the Brother 1034 D which currently goes for $184 on Amazon. I have watched some videos on using it now on YouTube. I could also purchase a used serger from shopgoodwill.com and look for an older better made one (though risky) and spend maybe $45 to maybe $75 including shipping. But I would have to secure a manual, and it could have problems.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this, as this will not get very much use, as my main focus is quilting (hence considering a used one)

Can anyone who has some experience with sergers give me any advise as to what direction I should go and perhaps some recommendation on what serger to look at.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:01 PM

I love my serger. the only problem is re-threading it. Some re-thread themselves but they are expensive. It's great for finishing clothing. When I buy a used machine I always take it to be serviced.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:50 AM

Yes, a serger would be great for finishing bag seams.

I bought one a few years ago and, as already mentioned, they can be fiddly to thread - and the manual is a must!
I still find mine a bit intimidating and like to do a few practice runs before I serve a seam.

If you haven’t used one before is there any change you can try one before you buy?
Old 11-28-2019, 03:21 AM

I wanted a serger 'just because' so, also, did not want to spend much money. I did by a used Brother 1034D for about $45 if I remember correctly. It did come with the manual. Had it serviced and there were no issues. I also ended up taking a general, basic serger class for about $25 as I was clueless about how the machines operated. Best $25 I ever spent! I think I've used in 1-2 times since purchase but very happy I have it. Bought locally from a CL seller.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:34 AM

I have a Pfaff 5-thread Coverlock, had it for years as I use to sew clothing. Haven't used it since started quilting. It is a absolute pain if you have to re-thread it. Probably should get rid of it as of now it's a great dust collector.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-28-2019 at 05:55 AM. Reason: language
Old 11-28-2019, 04:43 AM

I use french seams when I don't want them to have raw edges.

I used a 2.25 inch binding on the seams on the last bag I made. For the box corners, I folded in the ends of the binding and covered the raw edges. The top edge was also finished with binding and covered the raw edge of the binding on the side seams.

I have the Ovation serger and love using it to finish edges too. Easy to thread and set-up.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

My first serger was/is a Baby-Lock from the 1960s or 1970s. I learned that if I stiffen the end of the threads with something like Fray-Check - it does help with the threading.

I have also learned that machine is "happier" if the only setting I change is the stitch length. It also needs to have one of the knives changed every 30 years or so.

I use it to overcast the raw edges of fabrics before I wash them. If I need that last little bit of fabric, the overcasting is much easier to remove than zigzag stitching done by a regular machine.

I also use it to finish seams in the bags I make. I even finish the seams that will never show - because I am hoping that these bags will be washed and used until they are in shreds.

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-28-2019 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:07 AM

I have a ten thread Pfaff serger bought as an upgrade from my first served probably twelve years ago before I started mainly quilting. Thinking of selling it after getting it serviced as I haven't used it now for quite awhile. There are "air thread" sergers from Baby Lock and Pfaff now has their version. Don't know much about them but you might find it worth checking out.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:15 AM

I have a Viking 905...I don't think they make them anymore.....but this one is a work horse.....just the basic 4 thread serger...it does have a free arm (can remove a part), a differential knob ...which comes in handy and is manually threaded...which is a bit of a pain but do-able. I would recommend practicing the threading several times when you first get it...yep...thread it..unthread thread it, unthread it....until you are sick and tired and can do it in your sleep...well worth the torture tee hee....anyway..there is no digital screen on my serger...It works just fine for me...things I use it for are hemming my jeans...just mark the length...measure about one inch longer and then serge there...makes a nice finish on the seam....then I just fold up that serged edge and straight stitch my seam...it also works very well on stretchy material....I have used to make fleece blankets and to serge fabric before washing to prevent raveling....I don't use it all that often....but...it works great to finish seams for bags too....I bought a bunch of colored serger thread which I honestly have not used much of ...as I use mainly white, cream, grey and black.....this serger will last for a long time because of the lack of high end computerized stuff...now if you want to do fancy serging...this machine would not be it as it has no cover stitch....
Old 11-28-2019, 06:17 AM

The Brother 1034D is a solid choice. That’s the one I’m using. CL is a good place to check and you might find a good Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal. Having the manual is helpful, but I found some on the online tutorials invaluable.