Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking about a Long Arm >

Thinking about a Long Arm

Thinking about a Long Arm

Old 05-22-2013, 02:17 PM

I have the sweet 16 handi quilter and its a sit down model. I have done all sizes on it, even a king size! check it out, its' a work horse and not nearly as expensive
Old 05-25-2013, 04:26 AM

I had a mid arm machine (Bailey) and I rarely used it. It sat, taking up far too much of my valuable floor space so I finally sold it. I never enjoyed loading the quilt tops - at all. In fact, I hated it... so I purchased a Tin Lizzie sit down quilting machine and haven't looked back. I love the 18" harp and I've quilted an oversized queen with no problems at all. It was one of my best ever investments. I have used her a lot.

I'd say go and try out every machine you can... and maybe even take a class on it - there are many available. A lot of quilt shops have them if they have a longarm to rent.. or look for a dealer and take a class just to see if you like the act of quilting on a frame. I personally did not. I was good at it but I really just didn't like it. I prefer to sit and quilt. I love moving the fabric around instead of moving the machine around... and I don't have as much floor space lost to the frame. Those things are space hogs.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:45 AM

I ended up with a used Handi Quilter Avante. She has been here for about 5 months, and I have done several practice tops on her, and a few actual quilts. The real challenge comes in the next 3 days, I have 2 quilts to get on, quilted, off and bound for Christmas gifts.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 AM

Yikes! That's a lot to do at the last minute!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 PM

I have a sit-down Sweet Sixteen from HQ that I love, but I did notice that HQ recently came out with actuators that can raise and lower the machine. So if you want to sit while quilting you can and if you want to stand the next time you quilt you can. This would be a must have for me. I don't think I could stand all the time. I think there are other brands that have the lifts on their frames as well. I almost went with another less expensive brand, but I am very glad for the support, education HQ provides and how well it's made.

I can use any size needle from 12 - 20 without having to re-time the machine and I've been able to tension any thread that I've desired to use. Make sure to ask that... I almost went with the Sunshine, but they said I could only use 16-18 size needle and I wouldn't be happy if they timed it 14-16. Well sometimes I want to use very fine thread like silk and sometimes I want to use a heavier thread like King Tut, so I need the needle versatility.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:50 AM

I purchased a Pfaff Power Quilter P3 in October, and love it! I chose not to purchase the computer system, mainly because of the added cost, and I enjoy free motion quilting. I have to admit, I was a little intimidated at first. Loading the P3 is so easy, and I love the idler/take up bar....no more adjusting the rails every time I turn the quilt. I only have room for a 10' frame, so that reduced my choices. Plus I live in a rural area so there aren't a lot of long arm dealers near me. I looked at other machines, and each had at least one feature that stood out. I bought a new machine because of the warranty and service provided by the store (2 hrs away!). I had a Pfaff Grand Quilter that I used for 8 years, but was never happy with it because of the very limited quilting space, and not having a stitch regulator. This was a major purchase for me - it took me 2 years of looking and online research before I made my purchase.