Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking about a Long Arm >

Thinking about a Long Arm

Thinking about a Long Arm

Old 05-20-2013, 12:22 PM

You've been given lots of good advice here. I'd like to add that it is well worth it to buy from a great dealer. The initial service you get can make the difference between loving your LA and being scared of it. My dealer (Gammill) is 3 hours away but I had heard great things about them. He spent an entire day of about 6 hours setting up the machine, testing it out and instructing me on how to use and maintain it. He didn't leave until I was feeling confident that I could run it. I took the included classes (yeah I had to drive the 3 hours to their shop but I learned so much), drove up there again to take a hands on maintainance class where we tore things apart (again well worth it), and have had to call them for service advice once (it was an operator error he could talk me through over the phone). When I hear others say their LA is still in the box after a year because they're afraid of it, I'm so glad I bought mine from Doug and Martha.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:28 PM

I have the HandiQuilter Avante. Easy to use and not much service needed. I love it and would buy it again!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Belkocm View Post
On a side not, my 79 year young mother wants to learn how to use it too
I cannot stand for long periods of time (or short periods, for that matter), so I've never considered a long arm. UNTIL I was at the Houston Quilt Festival last November and found a company that makes a sit-down long arm. If you are interested, the website is www.sunshine16.com.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM

I have a used HQ16 and love it. Haven't had a problem in the 2+ years I've used it - aside from operator error!

DH took it apart after 2 years to clean it for me. It was amazingly clean inside. It really didn't need cleaning - except that there was a piece of thread caught in the 'needle up and down' mechanism. It hadn't given me trouble, but probably would have in the near future.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM

No, it's not a waste of your money to buy something you will use and get pleasure from. After all, you can't take your money with you. The money you don't spend will be spent by someone else after you're gone, and you'll get no enjoyment out of that!

Go for it.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM

I bought a Baby Lock Tiara (same as Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen) and just didn't like it - for ME - and just had no motivation to use it. I really wanted the standup and had compromised because of the price of what I really wanted. Then I came across an HQ Avante on Craigslist for a tremendous price and didn't hesitate.

We decided to give our living room furniture to our soon for his new apartment and set up the longarm in the living room which in 20 years in the house, we'd used a handful of times.

My dream machine is an Innova 22" but for the price, I'll be happy with my Avante for a while.

Make yourself happy.

(Trying to sell the Tiara now...)
Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM

I did a lot of research & did a test drive of all the machines at a show.
Bought a Nolting 30 pro w hydraulics. Can't wait for it to arrive.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 AM

I have an APQS Freedom and love it. I did buy it new so that I could finance it. I love it after having an unpleasant eperience with a Tin Lizzie for a year before I bought the APQS. I ahve quilted 140 quilts on my APQS since I got it in December. 2011 and I have not had any problems at all. I have the hudraulic advance and I absolutely love that too. My second choice was a Handi Quilter Fusion. My friend has had a Handi Quilter AQvante for 2 years and has done a lot of quilting on it and has had no problems with it. She really likes it. Good luck with your search.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM

I'd been also thinking long arm, trying all out at every show and struggling with price and where to put. My Mom made it possible for me to buy--and I did! I bought a used Gammill, Classic Plus,with stitch regulartor, 14'table, and all the "bells & whistles". I've had it for about a month now and have a long way to go with being a quaility quilter, but really am having fun!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:10 PM

I have a Gammill 18/8 Vision and love it. There are a lot of longarmers in my area and most have a Gammill. That is one of the main reasons I bought it (plus a really nice sale) because during my learning curve, I had a lot of friends to ask questions of and they had usually already had and solved the same problem I was having. Most of my problems were user error. I would recommend taking a class with any machine you get. I did and it took away a lot of my fears with the machine.