Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking about starting my own quilting related business >

Thinking about starting my own quilting related business

Thinking about starting my own quilting related business

Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Definitely start doing this part time while you continue at your full time position--even though you are wanting out!
What I was going to say - when you have so much quilt/rug business that you are way backed up, then you can think about quitting your other job.

Also want to agree with - do some research. Find out how much call there is for your kind of services. I have done antique quilt restoration but it was a very small part of my business. Not like there is a steady flow of customers.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 AM

I also thought I would want to have a quilting store. So I got a job at Hancock Fabric. I only worked there 4 days, my knees were screaming at me and I could hardly move every morning. This place was big and they didn't want me to leave the cutting table, so when people ask for something, I had to point where it was located. Only 2 employees were up front to man the table & cashier. It was really hard to measure fabrics, answer ppls questions and my hands got so dry handling fabrics all day. I knew if I stayed, I would hate fabric. I know the mgr was angry that I left, )even though he knew of my misery) sorry about that. So I'm thinking having a fabric store is not for me.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome View Post
I have owned my own non quilti gn business for 35 years. A few points. First consult with your local SBA. Second you currently need to add 40% to your current income to make the same being self employed. FICA 401k vacation sick leave holiday pay employer paid insurance ALL GONE. Add 10 hours a week to your schedule for paperwork. Finally debt will put you under if you work for yourself. No debt. Low mortgage no car payments no consumer debt and 18 months cash reserves then you can think about starting a business. No toys with payments
That being said I love owning my own business
This is right on the mark! I had my own business and I loved it but when I started we had NO debt and money saved to start. In the current economy it could be pretty rough. We have a new sewing store in our town and she is doing okay but I am not sure she will be able to continue due to overhead, etc. Several shops in the area have closed in the past 2 years.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 AM

I had my own business. I worked with glass. I also had a full time job that required daily overtime. When I started making as much money my part time glass job as I was earning on the regular full time job I was secure enough to quit my office job and make my hobby into a full time job. At about the same time I got married and we moved overseas, and that was it, so I really do not know if I would have been successful if we stayed in Canada. Try to work out so you can have both jobs for a while. It will be tough, i know it, but it will work great for your debt. I payed a humangus portion of my student loan with my part time craft business. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Banned

Everyone has valid and very good advised. I know I will be staying in my job, you are all right. Very very hard to give up a great salary, benefits and fairly secure job. But I am so disappointed in it. I have lost my sparkle for this job. Maybe it's just the weather and I will feel better when the warm sunny days are back, it might honestly be that and I should look into this aspect. But I think I will still do some research and even but an ad somewhere for quilt and rug repairs and see what happens. Even a few jobs once in a while will be some extra income and will make me feel better I think. Thanks everyone!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

it takes time to build a quilting business....unless you have lots of start up money to get you going/through for the first 3-5 years i would not expect to quit a good job & replace it with a just starting out quilting business...do you already have a customer base? have you been quilting for people? making money with your quilting?
i've had a business for 8 years now... i still work full time= in another field...the past 3 years i have made a profit with the quilting but i do not feel like i can pay all of my bills and maintain my current (life style) with just the quilting yet- maybe if we had retirement = or something else... I stay busy enough with it- i make plenty to 'support my quilting habit' and allow us the fun extra's- outside the monthly budget, like long weekends away, vacation fun, and some money in savings...i do not have to get into the household budget to enjoy my quilting, and i have a pretty good repeat customer base-adding a few new customers every year- if something happened to my job i might be able to spend more time at it & make more money- but it would be stressful - at some point maybe i will decide to retire & make it my primary income- but we need to be debt free before i even consider it.
of course if you plan to open a quilt shop thats a whole different story- you need money for your retail space, stock and the 'gumption' to work 18 hours a day...lots to think about- i would try to get started- while still working & see how that goes- it's seldom a good idea to leave a good job without a sure thing in the wings
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 PM

I started my business while I was still working full time. I quilted at night and on weekends for about 2 years until I could afford to quilt my job and I had some word of mouth customers. Now I use the social media's to my advantage and I am doing very well. But...... get out of debt before you quit. Quilting can be very expensive, and by then you will know if you really want to do this as a full time job.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 AM

Before anyone starts a business they should do some serious research and planning. A good business plan complete with projected financials is needed. I taught in the business college of a university for years and we helped people write business plans both as class projects under the supervision of the professor or faculty would act as a consultant to a business. You could check with universities in your area to see if they do this. We charged a nominal fee for the class project however consulting fees for faculty were more. The Small Business Administration website has a wealth of knowledge. Check that out. There are also templates available for business plans. I agree with being as debt free as possible before starting a business because you will incur debt in starting and running a business. Your bills for supplies, rent etc. will come due before people pay you for your merchandise/services. You need a way to manage cash flow. Also check to see if SCORE (senior corp of retired executives) is available for consultation. Your chamber of commerce should be able to guide you to some resources as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 AM

If you have a quilting store close to where you live I would first see if you can work at the store on weekends. This would give you a great feel on what you need to do and if you would want to start one. I also agree that you have to have so much money on reserve because you will be working without a paycheck for a couple of years. When I started my business it was 5 years without pay and everything back into the business. Wishing you well.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 AM

Everyone needs dreams. They carry us through the mundane times. Taking steps, even though they are small steps, gives us a lift.