Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those with kids...when do you sew? >

For those with kids...when do you sew?

For those with kids...when do you sew?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:08 AM

He got a slight taste of it when I was down after my surgery. BUT he didn't do half of what I do. He didn't like to cook because that meant dishes to clean and he only vacuumed ONCE in the two weeks I wasn't allowed. We have 4 cats so I vacuum at least twice a week. Of course he was glad when I was able to move better and do more. Things are almost back to normal. I still can't vacuum but once because it is tiring for me but at least it is more than once in two weeks.

Hubby is military and has a different view of things AND he was deployed her whole first year. He loves her, no doubt about that, but he is just different in his approach and he knows it too.

He did tell me the other day I could sew today so we shall see. I got my mom's quilt put together yesterday and it is ready to be sewn together.

And my sewing room is upstairs in our bonus room...there is no door to block her from coming upstairs so I am using stopping and going when I try to sew. Unless she finds something that SHE wants to do like this morning while I worked on a vest thing for her.

Originally Posted by GladGrams View Post
As a Grammy, I think your husband needs a "heads up" coming home from work and taking care of his child is not "baby sitting," it is called being a "father." You have been "working all day - and will continue all evening - and taking care of your child being a "mother." I guess he thinks his job is harder than yours and he deserves a break while you keep on working till bedtime? Maybe it would be "fun" to gift him with your job for a week? It sure changed my SIL's tune when he had to do it while mommy was in the hospital and Grammy wasn't there. He was begging to go back to "work!"
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 AM

Well I know its hard But shes 3 Old enough to start to learn that when Mommys sewing I can Sew too! I would get her one of those Very large hole plastic canvas in pretty colors, Make/buy a Very large dull needle teach her to go in/out with yarn while You sew! If you look in the Kids area of the Dollar stores they also may have kids crafts she could do She doesn't have to do it right at 1st just keep her busy!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jim View Post
We babysit 4 grandsons 5 days a week...starts at 6:30 A.M. nothing sewing wise gets done during those hours...diapers potty training, snacks, diapers, running, diapers, picking up, diapers and to and from school for the oldest...dr appts etc...too much life going on during those hours and when they leave we are exhausted...after a few hours to rejuvenate we can usually get to some sewing at about 9, if we are lucky because we still have to have fixed dinner, clean up and get rested for the next day of more of the same....we can usually work out a sunday for some good sewing time...even hard to get kids picked up a few minutes early to get to quilt club every other week...but glad we are able to help out our kids by babysitting and the time we get to share with our 4 grandsons
I am amazed at your stamina! My sister's friend and her husband kept their grandson every Monday and Wednesday while their daughter went to her part time job. They called Tuesdays and Thursdays their "sit and stare at the wall" days because he wore them out so much! And you are keeping four all week! Kudos to you!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

My children knew all my time was not devoted to all their attention demands. When playtime with them was over, it was over. I wanted them to learn how to entertain themselves and use their own imagination. From toddlers unrolling rolls of toilet paper in my sewing room while I sewed to pre school of making the world's longest line using yarn, they came up with some imaginative activities and didn't expect me to entertain them all day. I would have been frazzled if they clung to me all day long.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM

I remember so clearly when my daughter was about 2 1/2 and i needed to make her an outfit. She climbed on the chair, the table, ME, and it is such a sweet memory. By the time she was 5 she sewed her first skirt (with my help, of course...)

For uninterrupted hand quilting I used to get up at 6am, and hour before everyone else, and get a good hour of quilting in right away!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by skate View Post
For uninterrupted hand quilting I used to get up at 6am, and hour before everyone else, and get a good hour of quilting in right away!
Um, Little Bit is usually up by then. lol She used to sleep until 8am but lately it has been 6:30am or 7:00am.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I guess I was fortunate...when mine were little they played with each other or by themselves if I was sewing...so I usually got a lot done. Can't believe how much time kids take now!
It depends a lot on the child's personality also. My firstborn was GREAT at entertaining himself but when my daughter came along, I couldn't get to the bathroom for a quick pee without her crawling, walking, banging on the door, crying Momma!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 PM

When do you sew when you have kids? --- After they have grown up and gone away to college! LOL.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by shan70 View Post
I am lucky. I just started sewing/quilting. I have a 13 year old boy, 9 year old girl, and a 16 month old boy. The two older ones watch the baby for me if I promise to teach them as I learn. Which was a pleasant surprise coming from the older boy but yay! So we all clean together, then take turns on the sewing machine. Then, every now and then, the hubby will take everyone to the park or his mom's and I get time all to myself. You just gotta take it as it comes, whether it's a few minutes or days at a time, lol
You are a very wise mother. Getting the children involved and teaching them to sew is a wonderful approach to parenting. Kudos.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:48 PM

MY kids are older now but my Abby, she's 9 and still seems to have to be right under me. When she was younger I used to set her up in the same room with me with arts and crafts. She has always loved to color and do puzzles (your little one might surprise you if you haven't introduced puzzles Abby could do 100 piece at 3), also I had a special scrap drawer that was her's with tape or a glue stick she would make paper quilts by gluing fabric to paper. She loved it because in the end it was all about being close to me. Find what interests your daughter and set it up have a sewing time after a week they schedule it in their little busy bodies. She still comes in my sewing room and plays with my scraps but now she can sew on the machine.

I do like my peace tho so I quilt when they are in school or late nights when the DH is in the field as well.