Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those who use spray Glue for quilts >

For those who use spray Glue for quilts

For those who use spray Glue for quilts

Old 10-18-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by dtippens
My sister was making something other then a quilt. She called me and asked me what to do with fleece that keeps
stretching while sewing , She was using this for a backing for some Chaps she was making for her son.

Any way I told her to go and buy spray Glue. She went to wall mart and saw the price of spary glue... (now this is my sister knowing alot about cars.) She called me back, and said to went to the automotive store and bought what they call glue spray for the inside of your care overhead liner. (This is for the inside of your car when the top of your ceiling comes down and hits you in the head)
It is the same as glue spray for 1/4 of the price. I think she
said she paid $3.00- $4.00 for a large can.
I told her I would pass this on. same product for 1/4 of the cost.
it not the same , I have used it for the right porpuse and it sticks to averything and gettse hard
Old 10-18-2011, 05:09 AM

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by gertz
I too use the Elmers spray glue in the craft section of WalMart. It is washable and non temporary if used as directed.
Can you lift your fabric up and put back down to reposition with the elmers like you can with 505 and others.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 AM

I don't think I'll try it!I really don't want to mess up machine,I would think it's totallt different stuff plus I do also og kids quilts I;d be affaid of them breathing it!!But thanks for the idea!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:29 AM

my hubby restores cars... he says the two products are NOT the same. The one for car liners is permanent.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:56 AM

Yeah I checked with my brother who also restores cars plus another friend and they pretty much said same thingDO NOT use!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by kaykid815
my hubby restores cars... he says the two products are NOT the same. The one for car liners is permanent.
I was kind of figuring someone would know someone who works with cars to give us the answer. I know the 505 spray is expensive, but it really only requires a light misting and goes a long way so one can lasts quite awhile. Someone recently posted a link (or I came across it on a blog) that showed the results of a real analysis of three spray basting products and the results on the fabric over the long-term. The conclusion was that the 505 was the spray that showed the best long-term results (as far as not harming, discoloring, or otherwise damaging you fabric). As much as we invest in the fabric, batting, thread and our sewing machines, I think we would be wise to make sure we know what products, like basting spray, might do to them over the long term. I will post that blog or link if I can find it again.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 AM

Warning: Spray GLUE is NOT the same as quilt basting spray ! Basting sprays MADE for quilts are water-soluble, they come out when the quilt is washed. Spray glue made for other use is going to be permanent :(
Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 AM

I love shortcuts and tips, but I've learned that doing certain things could void warranties on newer machines.

Thank you for posting this, but for now.. I'll stick to the spray basting glue that my LQS carries. I'm too chicken...lol
Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 AM

my question is how does she know it is 100% the same; will it come out when washed. Just like there are glues made for fabic but it doesn't come out unless washed right away and can get hard and leave marks. I buy the spray at Walmarts because it does just as good as 505 but is alot cheaper. I'm not so sure about the one for cars. I'd hate to ruin anything that I made because it didn't come out.