Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those who use spray Glue for quilts >

For those who use spray Glue for quilts

For those who use spray Glue for quilts

Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Originally Posted by kaykid815
my hubby restores cars... he says the two products are NOT the same. The one for car liners is permanent.
I was kind of figuring someone would know someone who works with cars to give us the answer. I know the 505 spray is expensive, but it really only requires a light misting and goes a long way so one can lasts quite awhile. Someone recently posted a link (or I came across it on a blog) that showed the results of a real analysis of three spray basting products and the results on the fabric over the long-term. The conclusion was that the 505 was the spray that showed the best long-term results (as far as not harming, discoloring, or otherwise damaging you fabric). As much as we invest in the fabric, batting, thread and our sewing machines, I think we would be wise to make sure we know what products, like basting spray, might do to them over the long term. I will post that blog or link if I can find it again.
I also have good luck with June Tailors from Walmarts; it's have the price and doesn't gum up my machine. It does last a long time as well but is 1/2 the price. It may have been on me but when I compared it to 505 JT spray worked better. Not willing to test a car glue on my quilts though.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by dtippens
My sister was making something other then a quilt. She called me and asked me what to do with fleece that keeps
stretching while sewing , She was using this for a backing for some Chaps she was making for her son.

Any way I told her to go and buy spray Glue. She went to wall mart and saw the price of spary glue... (now this is my sister knowing alot about cars.) She called me back, and said to went to the automotive store and bought what they call glue spray for the inside of your care overhead liner. (This is for the inside of your car when the top of your ceiling comes down and hits you in the head)
It is the same as glue spray for 1/4 of the price. I think she
said she paid $3.00- $4.00 for a large can.
I told her I would pass this on. same product for 1/4 of the cost.
She could just use her walking foot as well even while making clothes; it would help. She could also use something like stitch witchery tape where she could tape the seams closed and then sew over it; that should help.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:56 AM

Use a temporary spray glue such as such as Sulky. I use this often when embroidering to attach fabric to stablizer. It does not hurt machine or needles and will wash out. There are also several other brands. If you do a search, I'm sure you will find them.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 AM

From a one time upholster, I would not advise the auto glue on your quilt. You might save a little money on the glue, but I think would ruin your quilt. It is meant to hold something in place permanently.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:01 AM

I found this very to be good information. thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 AM

Elmers makes a spray glue that I have used when making banners or wall hangings...use it to hold applique pieces from moving....did not gum up my needle....for a simple holiday banner did not want to waste my expensive basting spray....was using my KK2000 spray also yesterday for use on something when you want to stick to disappear in 24 hours....
Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Yikes!!! Most likely *not* the same product used for quilts! Basting spray used in quilts is water-soluble; I doubt that car glue is. It might work well for your sister's application, but I would not want permanent glue in any of the quilts I make -- especially with the outgassing that can occur.
A small part of the headliner fabric was coming down and I used the fabric spray and it only lasted a few days. I think the moisture in the air made it stop sticking. I am glad to hear they have some stuff at the auto shops; I am ging there. Thank you.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM

This has been a most interesting discussion. Thanks to all of you who shared your experiences and concerns.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Why do we try to cut corners on our daily supplies when we've paid thousands for our machines. I doubt that the car glue is the same as the quilting glue. Mainly because the application has a different purpose. The quilting glue is temporary and washes out. The car glue is meant to hold the lining on permanently.

Why take the chance of damaging our machines.

Of course, if the project is a wall hanging or "art quilt" not meant for washing, then a craft glue could be used. Be careful about putting it back under the needle though.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Thank you for the information. I will check it out.