Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts from Patrice >

Thoughts from Patrice

Thoughts from Patrice

Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 AM

Would it be possible to reinstate the feature we had before of receiving an email whenever someone responded to one of our quotes or questions? That was a very helpful feature and took us directly to the item that was answered.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 AM

The more I explore the new look, Its falling into place and easier it becomes.

Thank you
Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Thank you Bluegrassgirl! Preparation for a big change, like this one we are experiencing with the board, should have been mandatory. At the very least members should have been notified that significant changes were on the horizon. As an adult I feel like we have been treated as children...a "let's just do it and then tell them and they can either live with it or leave" kind of attitude. Personally, I have left the tears and frustrations behind. I have given this new board a try, I have given up. I check the home page and that is it. Now I have more time to quilt. I will be thankful for that.
Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl View Post
Having been in the Information Technology field for over 15 years, I can completely understand long, long days.... and all nighters. They are no fun for anyone. I can also appreciate improving systems by placing them on a better platform, implementing a more robust security mechanism, and making them more appealing.

It is a simple fact that typically we, humans, do not like change. We are creatures of habit and find comfort in what we know and find familiar. There are, however, many measures that we (as IT professionals) can take to ensure our users will not experience such a shock to a new way of doing things. By not preparing the users..... you will, inevitably, receive much negative feedback. Who can blame them?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:05 AM

Kudos Patrice for a very informative email. Like probably 90% of us or more don't comprehend all that goes into web designs and updates of format. Yep, I cringed at first, then thought, "Oh heck, if I can navigate Goole Chrome's beta I can do this. Each day I learn a couple of new things. Thank you for hanging in. And pox to all the members who wrote less than positive emails, mostly critical.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by grandmaquilts View Post
Would it be possible to reinstate the feature we had before of receiving an email whenever someone responded to one of our quotes or questions? That was a very helpful feature and took us directly to the item that was answered.
Click on settings on the very top right of the page, then look over to the categories on the left. About 1/2 way down, is the heading "My Account". Under that is a topic "General Settings. If you click on that, it brings up all the options. Again, about half way down the page is "Messaging & Notification" under that look at the drop down box to the right of "Default Thread Subscription Mode:" You want to have that set at "Instantly, by email". Once that is done, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click on "save changes". You will then get notices when someone posts to a topic you started or have commented on. This notice says that a new post has be made, and adds a blurb of what was said.. However, it also states that there may be more posts, so it is always a good idea to click on the link and go to the post. I will/should take you to where you last read on that topic.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks Patrice!!! for your comments about this new format. Yes, it's very different and difficult to find where we've been or where were going. I'm lost most of the time anyway so this fits right in. I'm trying to help others here and I'm getting help from a dear friend here since she was my first (May 2011) swap partner from madeinmaine). I cannot give up on all my quilting friends I've made on this board. We all will find our way with each other on this quilt board.
Thanks very much
your notices are wonderful.
jigs1354/Shirley

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post

I stopped screaming during the beta tests.
Ok. I will admit there are some things that will never thrill me. I'm human, so I have my own set of quirks and preferences.

BUT we have so many things here we didn't have before.
On top of that, there are more ways in which I, as CM, can help members with problems that i couldn't help with before.

That's one reason the help docs are so slow in coming. I am clearing a backlog of help requests behind the scenes. (That should not be mistaken for a complaint. it's simply an explanation.)

I am convinced that, over time, I personally get over my own minor peeves. There are just too many positives for me to end up feeling otherwise.

We are safer here than we were before. We have new toys to play with.

The developers are very sensitive to a few of our needs, in particular. The color scheme - as it effects members with vision issues - is one of them. Our health and welfare is a top priority. The smaller things will just have to wait. They have already increased the default font size and changed the stark white to a soft cream. They will do what they can to improve things further for our special needs members.
-----------------------------------

Odd that you overlook the fact that we didn't have an ignore feature before.
------------------------------------

The developers have poured themselves into this project. They beat their brains out. They worked overtime - at least once all the way 'round the clock. They sacrificed weekends.

And ... yes ... they have read some of the horrible, vicious, selfish and downright smelly things some of you have posted.

I would say I'm embarrassed and ashamed. But I won't.

Instead, I will extend my heartfelt gratitude to the members who are slogging through our period of adjustment with grace and generosity. You are the true representatives of our community. I am proud to be among you and proud to call you "family".
Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 PM

I'd like to add my appreciation to the work the moderaters have done. I am not yet comfortable with the sites; I miss the pictures which I can't seem to find always. However, I know more this week than I did last week so perhaps I will eventually be comfortable with the site. I have never been on such a site before I found the quilt board so I don't know what I was missing. THere is much to learn but I am willing to try. I was so discouraged at first that I was ready to bail, but I'll keep trying.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I think the site is beautiful! I don't understand the complaints...I really don't. It looks so much more like a "quilting board" than it ever did! Thanks.

As for white...I guess most forums and news sites I read have white as the background. That complaint I don't understand at all!
If at some point you have a sight problem, then first will you understand it - white is blinding - soften it with a colored background and it becomes eye appeal.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM

I think the new board is better and I do like the navigation thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 PM

are there plans to include Pictures in the Daily Digest? And are there plans to implement a way to keep a thread in the "read" mode even if someone adds a comment to it? I can't keep up with what I have or haven't read . Thanks for your reply.