Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread nippers? >

Thread nippers?

Thread nippers?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:52 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I have a pair of curved up embroidery scissors that I use and bought them @ Jo-Ann's, love them. They are by my machine all the time now. Wish I would of had them before, loved the stork scissors until everytime I bought a pair DH would use them umm for his nose hairs and after that I never wanted them back (found him doing his thing one day, he used to put them back into my sewing kit until then) !LOL
Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 AM

My DH has to go to the dressing clinic whenever he has an accident (and he has a few using a stanley knife) so I grab the scissors from there, they only use them once a throw them away as they are no longer sterile. I must have had a dozen or more over the years, they are great for threads,
Old 05-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Mine are ones I used in a sewing factory years ago. I love them and they stay in my hand most of the time while sewing.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 AM

In addition to trying the sandpaper, I have read that cutting several layers of aluminum foil will sharpen scissors. I LOVe my Ginghers nippers. Have had for 20 years and I wear them around my neck at home--never take them away.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I have some thread nippers (I guess that's what they're called... it's what I call them... LOL!) that are as dull as watching paint dry. They are just cheapies that I got years ago... I think they were a give-away at the LQS or else were just super cheap. They aren't a name brand or anything. But I really like using them to cut my thread. Who out there also uses nippers & what kind do you have? I really need to buy some new, decent ones. Any help would be much-o appreciated!
I use the ones that doctors use to take out stitches. They are stainless steel and they are very sharp . They throw these away after they use them . So if you know someone in the medical field, they should be able to get you some.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM

I have a pair of Ginghers and they are absolutely the best I've ever had. Three years of snipping and they are just as sharp as the day I got them. Can't say enough good things about them even though they are a tad pricey.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 AM

This may sound weird but the best thread snips I have found are the little scissors that you buy for cutting your toenails! They are very sharp and a compact size. I have a few pairs because you can ge them at the dollar store. They even fit in where all my machine feet go so I kow they are always handy! I have seen some decorated ones at Fabricland and such but I figure for a $1 I am not out much when they get dull!! But for the record I have been using the one pair for about a year now!!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:38 AM

same thing happened to me with my Martelli rotary cutter. After that I stopped going to that group.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I'm sorry. Maybe they were embarrassed?
They should be! There is a basket in our guild closet for 'not mine' items to be left there. The person wanted them and kept them.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Banned

I have used nippers for years....my cheapy one actually fell apart and now I have a Gingher one...super fine point, just love it!