Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thread nippers?

Blog Entries
    I use the ones that Tooltron makes. I love them!
    http://www.tooltron.com
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Lots of options! I keep a pair at my machine made by Gold Seal. I've had them for about 40 years. Hadn't sewed in many years and when I started quilting a few years ago I couldn't find them. I bought a small pair of scissors, but my fingers always got caught in the holes. Finally found my Gold Seal in with a bag of old sewing notions and I love them.
    http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Seal-Thre.../dp/B00358CTL2
    As someone mentioned earlier, I take the "others" to classes and workshops as I don't mind so much if I lose them.
    Pat

I had never used them, then I bought something else I needed, and it had a few things in pkge, I think I got it at Hancocks, and now I love them! Not sure of brand though.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Years ago, I found some of the Gingher snips on eBay for about 5 dollars a pair, I think I bought 5 pair, I have them all over the house. I love them.

Blog Entries
    has anyone tried sharpening them by cutting through aluminum foil? I`ve heard that that can work but I've never tried it.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I have a pair of curved up embroidery scissors that I use and bought them @ Jo-Ann's, love them. They are by my machine all the time now. Wish I would of had them before, loved the stork scissors until everytime I bought a pair DH would use them umm for his nose hairs and after that I never wanted them back (found him doing his thing one day, he used to put them back into my sewing kit until then) !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

My DH has to go to the dressing clinic whenever he has an accident (and he has a few using a stanley knife) so I grab the scissors from there, they only use them once a throw them away as they are no longer sterile. I must have had a dozen or more over the years, they are great for threads,

Mine are ones I used in a sewing factory years ago. I love them and they stay in my hand most of the time while sewing.

In addition to trying the sandpaper, I have read that cutting several layers of aluminum foil will sharpen scissors. I LOVe my Ginghers nippers. Have had for 20 years and I wear them around my neck at home--never take them away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    I have some thread nippers (I guess that's what they're called... it's what I call them... LOL!) that are as dull as watching paint dry. They are just cheapies that I got years ago... I think they were a give-away at the LQS or else were just super cheap. They aren't a name brand or anything. But I really like using them to cut my thread. Who out there also uses nippers & what kind do you have? I really need to buy some new, decent ones. Any help would be much-o appreciated!
    I use the ones that doctors use to take out stitches. They are stainless steel and they are very sharp . They throw these away after they use them . So if you know someone in the medical field, they should be able to get you some.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

I have a pair of Ginghers and they are absolutely the best I've ever had. Three years of snipping and they are just as sharp as the day I got them. Can't say enough good things about them even though they are a tad pricey.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

This may sound weird but the best thread snips I have found are the little scissors that you buy for cutting your toenails! They are very sharp and a compact size. I have a few pairs because you can ge them at the dollar store. They even fit in where all my machine feet go so I kow they are always handy! I have seen some decorated ones at Fabricland and such but I figure for a $1 I am not out much when they get dull!! But for the record I have been using the one pair for about a year now!!

Blog Entries
    same thing happened to me with my Martelli rotary cutter. After that I stopped going to that group.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    I'm sorry. Maybe they were embarrassed?
    They should be! There is a basket in our guild closet for 'not mine' items to be left there. The person wanted them and kept them.
    Got fabric?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have used nippers for years....my cheapy one actually fell apart and now I have a Gingher one...super fine point, just love it!

I bought my nippers from Havel's and LOVE them. I also bought a seam ripper that is a surgical steel blade that can be replaced when it's dull. I LOVE it too! Can't beat Havel's for the sharp tools!
    http://www.havelssewing.com/
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    use a kid's pair of fiskars (polka dot handle). i'm going to have to change to nippers that don't have a thumb loop. my thumb went in but didn't want to come out. guess the arthritis is on the move.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Already posted once on here, but since then, I thought about the thread nippers being dull, so I sharpened mine with my scissor sharpener! Yah! It worked!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Dee
    Years ago I bought a set from HF, but they no longer carry them. Walmart wanted almost $8.88 for a pair. So at the $ store I found a pair, used for plants, but work fine. I love them. Handy notion to have. DH tried to sharpen them, but no good. Hope you find them. I'd be lost without mine.

Mine came from the tool kit I got when I worked in a garment factory in 1974. I learned to keep them in my hand while I sewed for speed. They are still nice and sharp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2