Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:15 AM

Default Thread

Thanks to the wonderful advice on this forum I changed from using gutterman cotton threads to bottom line for piecing my quilts. I've made so many quilts with it without issue and love the neat and bulk free seams it creates. The very strangest thing has happened though because my Janome has taken a real dislike to it. In fact I'd go as far as to say my Janome doesn't like black thread! Sounds a bit crazy but even when I'm embroidering if a colour is going to break its the black, always the black. Two days ago after almost completing a quilt top using black bottom line it started messing up the seams. I did all the usual things to correct the situation but it was having none of it. I changed to a different thread top and bobbin and completed the top. A couple of times I tried 'sneaking' bottom line into the bobbin case and top but the machine started throwing a hissy fit and I'd to change back to the other thread to finish my sewing. Has anyone any ideas as to why bottom line has fallen from grace with my machine? I have a large box of yummy coloured bottom line reels lying frightened in the corner awaiting to know their fate. Would the fact my machine has been used to do a serious amount of embroidery of late have anything to do with it?
Old 12-17-2014, 02:26 AM

Maybe your machine needs a good cleaning and a new needle? I ALWAYS find that when my machines start to get a little picky or causing problems, I give it a good major cleaning and change the needle - and then it works again!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:42 AM

Have you tried using a larger needle? Apparently the thread hole gets larger as the needle does. It helped me on a project that my machine kept shredding thread.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:18 AM

Like you, I've switched to a finer thread for piecing, but am not a lover of polyester, so use Presencia 60wt cotton.

I would actually suggest a smaller needle for 60wt a 80/12. It's been my experience that a too large needle is as bad as one that's too big for the thread weight.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:47 AM

I always use a size 10 needle when piecing. My Janome so far doesn't dislike any thread but maybe metallic.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Many brands of black thread can cause problems because it's the most heavily dyed. I have used black Presencia 60wt cotton with success, but other brands have caused problems... It can be a couple of different things: the dying can cause the thread to be a bit weaker and/or I've found that the thread can be a bit stiffer and easily jump out of the take up lever on the top and wind around the spindle in the bobbin case (back lash). You can try bobbin genies to see if it eliminates the back lash issue. And finally, your statement "...why bottom line has fallen from grace with my machine..." sounds like you've successfully used bottom line before. If this is a new purchase, I'd contact the seller. You may have just gotten a bad batch.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
Maybe your machine needs a good cleaning and a new needle? I ALWAYS find that when my machines start to get a little picky or causing problems, I give it a good major cleaning and change the needle - and then it works again!
I totally agree with icul8rg8r. When is the last time you had it in for servicing?? Our sewing machines are just like cars, they need to be checked and cleaned by a professional every so often depending on what your manual says. I had a student who came to class and her machine would not sew a stitch. I opened the bobbin case and found her machine was packed so tightly with dust bunnies. No one had remember to tell her you have to clean them out ever so often.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 AM

My machine is only 8 mths old and I hoover it out at least once a week or before I change from embroidery/piecing to quilting and vice versa. I had pieced about three quarters of the king top before it started playing up. It worked great with other thread but as I said whenever I snuck the bottom line in it 'put down tools'. I also tried it with a 70, an 80 and a 90 needle - all fresh out of the box. Perhaps it is just this cone of thread that's dodgy? I've used bottom line loads and loads of times, I've even used it to quilt with. I love the fact it doesn't create the same build up of fluff as cottons do. Anyway I'm about to begin quilting this top and bought some mettler silk finish to see how it goes. I read on one thread that a few ladies liked it.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:14 AM

I love Bottom Line and now use it exclusively. Superior Threads stands behind their products. I would contact them for help - maybe you just got a defective or old product.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

You know, we spend a fortune adopting these new machines, give them names, talk to all our quilting friends about them, rebuke anybody who tries to hurt them, and then we wonder why they develop persnickety habits and personalities like our own children. Weird, aren't we.

Jan in VA