Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading A Serger >

Threading A Serger

Threading A Serger

Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 AM

My sister got a good hint which I follow. Thread from the bottom up and I even pull the thread out of the needles till I get the loopers threaded. It seems that the thread from the needles gets involved with the loopers in a bad way if they are threaded when you turn the wheel to thread the loopers. I usually tie the new colors with a good small knot) to the looper threads as I take off the old colors on top. They pull the thread thru the path. The left looper is difficult, but I have a tweezers to insert the thread into the looper bar that moves over the right looper. I do a lot of sewing on knits and garments and find the serger very useful.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:41 AM

directions should be on the cover were you open it my is hard to thread but if you get it right it sews good
Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 AM

I have a singer that I have taken to the shop 3 times just so they can thread it. Now instead of driving one hour for them to thread it I broke down and bought a babylock serger. NO MORE Threading it does it automatically!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:36 AM

I guess I've never had much trouble threading my serger. It's a White and has little hooks instead of holes for the thread to go through. It also has a color coded threading diagram on the hatch to guide me. Although most of the time I do tie the new color onto the old one to thread it. Once it is threaded, I readjust the tensions, hold on to the ends of the threads & give a gentle tug on each thread above the tensions to "set" the thread in the tensions properly & give it a test sew to make sure everything is working right before starting on my project.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:47 AM

My Huskylock serger was my mom's, purchased before my dad died in 1983...dunno for sure how old it is!
She was good about keeping everything, and it has a threading chart with it. I can thread it fairly fast...about 5 or 10 minutes, even tho I don't use it often. It does help that it's color coded.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Stormie
:cry: I have a Serger I brought 4 years ago. I used it once, until I un-threaded it.....does anyone have any idea of how to Thread a Serger, especially the upper and lower loopers> :oops: Instructions are not very clear...
One of the things I found most helpful (if the knot comes undone when you pull a new color through, as some have explained) is those little blue dental loops. They are easy to thread becasue the loop is so large, easy to hold as you guide the thread through the proper sequence, and go through all the appropriate holes except sometimes the needle.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 AM

I recently bought a used serger off Craig's List - a Toyota. I was so intimidated that I couldn't do anything....I was frozen. I mentioned on this blog that someone had the same Serger and they offered their manual to me. That's when I had to admit to myself that I was just scared to try it. So I took a block of time...couple of hours....and using the manual taught myself to thread the machine and get it to work....then with my heart in my throat, I unthreaded it and did it again....then unthreaded it and did it again. It's amazing how it can be so freeing. Give it a try.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 AM

OK I bought a juno serger,(about $200.) could not for the life of me figure out how to thread it. Wanted to toss it out the window, was so mad.
Went to my local Pfaff dealer and bought a ($1100. Pfaff serger) Which had on line threading info and a CD of the same. Was easy to do step by step, so easy in fact that I was then able to thread the juno, (which I later sold)
Now have a lap top computer (which I traded with my sister for my old Pfaff 1229 with IDT) I can have right by my serger, with threading CD and paly it while I thread it. Works for me.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:50 AM

My Bernina 800 has color coded guides for each of the 4 threads. If I didn't have that, I would be frustrated that I couldn't thread it. It still takes me about 15 minutes, lol.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 AM

I thank everyone who replied to my problem. All responses are great and gives me hope that I can do this (scratching my head and all...lol)

Thanks a million times over!!