Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading A Serger >

Threading A Serger

Threading A Serger

Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

If I used a serger a lot I'd have the self threading one. We would eat rice and beans until it was paid for if had to be. The old one I have, it takes me several hours to get it threaded right.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the thread. One of my patients had two sergers. She offered one to me. I haven't used it yet. I'll have to try it now.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:31 PM

I have one I bought at Sears about 10 years ago. The last time I used it I was so frustrated by the time I got it threaded:-( (the cat had been inspecting it) I was ready to toss the whole thing! I have a few things that would be easier to do with it, so someday soon, when I am feeling extra patient, I will get it going.(Did I really say that?) :-P

Ditter
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM

if you look at the serger there are 4 places to put the thread through. if you go from left to right - you thread the third first then the forth and then the needles. Always make sure that you thread the needlels last - or the thread will break.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 PM

It's one of those "have to haves" that I could have lived without. It works fine after I get it threaded, though I don't use it all that often.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:01 PM

It's one of those "have to haves" that I could have lived without. It works fine after I get it threaded, though I don't use it all that often. It's a Singer that I bought many years ago and it is color-coded so it isn't a real problem. I bought it to use on napkins, etc, but find I like the hemmed edges better. It's great for knits or fabrics that ravel.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:18 PM

They are tricky little machines! I am lucky, mine has the instruction diagram right on the inside of the bottom door. It is color coded so it's easy to see. I would check utube to see if there are any videos you can watch. Good luck to you!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 PM

My first serger was a bear to thread traded that one in and have not had any problems since. I love my serger not going to give it up.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM

I have to take mine to the shop to get it threaded! I've made four garments in 15 years on it, so it was a total waste of money. It just sits in the sewing room, reproachfully.

It's a relief to know other people are having similar problems.
froggyintexas
Old 06-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Threading can be a pain; the easiest way I found to thread is to simply re-thread. I cut the thread close to the spool and single knot the new thread on then slowly run the machine until the new thread shows up in the loops; I do that for each one and then do the #1 thread that goes thru the needle. I always stop before the knot passes thru the needle and thread the needle by hand. I had some problems with the timing on my machine last year (first time I ever had to take it into the shop and it is 12 years old). Needless to say I had to take it back twice 'cause the guy who worked on it wasn't thorough. I was so happy to get her back 'cause she runs like new! It makes a difference in what order you thread your lower loopers 'cause if one thread should be over the other and it isn't you won't get your loops right. I hope that all makes sense.