Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tieing a quilt >

Tieing a quilt

Tieing a quilt

Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ritacarl
What a wonderful idea. The tumbling block quilt is from scraps and of course many different colors. I have a ga-zillion colors of embroidery floss. So, will use the cordinating color for the block. Oh, thanks so much!! Am anxious now to get to it. Suppose I should get Christmas behind me first. Also, have to make woodpecker food. Then to the quilt. Thanks again.
Rita
Good idea to use different colors embordery floss. I use it all the time, and match the color to the fabric. The design of the quilt determines the spacing. And of course, recomentations on the batt package.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:55 PM

1 cup lard or beef suet
1 cup chunky peanut butter
2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
2 cups yellow corn meal
1 cup flour
I buy nuts & fruit or some kind of wood pecker dry food and add that also.

Melt lard or suet. Turn stove to low and add peanut butter.
While suet is melting mix together the last 3 ingredients. After peanut butter and suet is melted add dry ingredients a couple cups at a time. When all is mixed together, spread in a baking pan. Cool. Cut into size you want and put in freezer. I live in MN so keep it in the garage in the winter.
I make a triple batch every time. It is really messy so make one HUGE mess.
You can buy suet in the meat section of most stores. At least around here. I've never used lard. Don't think it is as good for the birds. In the winter they sit in trees at night and shiver off their body fat so the suet and peanut butter keeps up their body fat.
If you make this, the birds will love you. The chickadees and nuthatches also enjoy the treat.
Rita
Old 12-27-2010, 03:56 PM

The embroidery floss is 6 strands. Don't the strands seperate or do you use just one?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM

I use the Perle embroidery thread. It is on a ball and is thicker than the regular embroidery floss. It does not seperate and one strand is sufficient.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:10 PM

I use all six strands. Surgens knot. I double the "stitch" before I do the knot. I cut the tails a bit less than an inch. The tails seperate, but I haven't found that a problem.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:13 PM

I have also used pearl cotton. It works beautifully, but I like being able to use a variety of colors which would be a bit pricy with pearl cotton.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
....and I've used yarn to tie one that's still going strong after 30 yrs!!!!
My grandmother made quilts for all of my kids and used yarn to tie them. They are frequently used and the yarn is still tied almost 40 yrs later. I once tied a quilt with embroderiy thread and they all came undone after washing the quilt :-( and I had to re-tie the whole thing.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spice
I would tie first then bind. If you do not like knots there is a way of tying without knots. Someone taught me this years ago and it really works. 1 2
3 4
Thread (yarn etc)
down on point 1, up on 4, down on one, and up on two, down on three, and up on four. The thread is cut and ends remain showing on one and four. You will have an x on the top of the comforter and a z on the back side. you can pull on the ends and they will not come out. This is great for a baby quilt they will be laying on as there are no knots to be uncomfortable.
This sounds like something I would like to try. Are the 1-2-3-4 points set up as a square when you are going up and down?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Yes they are set up like a square or like at the intersection of 4 blocks. When I wrote the message the 1 & 2 were over the 3 & 4 but moved when it was added to the website. Take a 4 patch and practice where all four blocks connect. One stitch in each block. When you pull on the two thread ends you will see they do not come undone.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 PM

My grandma taught me to use 2 by 2's (4) and (4) C clamps, If you have chairs to use lay towels over them, lay 2 by 2's clamp, Tack backing all the way around with sm tacks, add batting of choice, lay top, start at one end row by row and pin. then tie and as you complete a roll, roll it under and re- clamp. (smile) grannie's way. She used yarn, now days I use yarn or embroidery thread. Granny also said when you bring yarn up make sure abt 1/4 inch seperates the down from up, or can tear material in time. If I was doing a big quilt, I would still do it this way, If only a single I use my sewing table. Every one has their special way it works for them. The thread is nice as you can match it to your material, I like yarn on denim. If cotton batting, she would tie abt every 4 inches, if pollyfill abt every 6 inches. again I guess it's what we are use not, my granny and I had fun quiling. :) And RitaCarl, you have fun with yours, I like the looks of (tacking) lol as granny use to say. :) maybe get a friend, it will go fast. We use to take pins out after finishing a row before rolling. :) Hey ladies, is this book long enough. hha.....