Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Time for a New Iron >

Time for a New Iron

Time for a New Iron

Old 12-13-2019, 03:25 PM

Default Time for a New Iron

Well, the day came and my Sunbeam iron is not longer heating up at all. We received it as a wedding gift and I'm sure the gifter would never have dreamed what I would have used it for!

I was looking at the $12 Black and Decker irons at Walmart, but my DH doesn't want me to go "cheap". I see where he's coming from, but I've read too much about expensive irons dying after only a year or less of use, or they don't get hot enough. I want a good, hot, simple iron. I don't use steam.

Any opinions or reviews on the Walmart Black and Decker iron? I don't mind getting an expensive iron if it is worth every penny and lasts.

Last edited by NZquilter; 12-13-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-13-2019, 03:35 PM

I'm tough on irons and I drop them a lot. I've found that what I like is not the cheapest iron, but close -- it is the cheapest iron with the extra long cord, I usually get them at Target so standard brands and choices. If the cheap one is $14, it's $20 so still cheap. I've tried medium to more expensive irons and typically break the cases by dropping them after about 4-5 years.

I want steam and I want hot. I prefer those that don't turn off by themselves but I've been saved a couple of times by those that do... it all depends on how fast they turn off/heat up again.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:37 PM

I had one inexpensive model of Black and Decker before I started quilting ( I started in 2007). I used it for years and then started to use it even more when I began to quilt. I ended up replacing it last year after it started to leak. I felt I got years of service from it.
Then I bought a more expensive one (not one of the really, really expensive name brand for quilting ones) that was described as "pro" model of a popular brand for home use. It is already starting to leak a white crumbling powder along the bottom edge of the tank and through the steam vents. I do use steam, but I always have, even with the less expensive one I had for years. If I had it to do again, I would buy the less expensive model, and it would be Black and Decker. I like their products.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

My Black and Deckers were fine until I dropped them - or they "hopped off" the ironing board!
Old 12-13-2019, 04:50 PM

I pick up "vintage" irons all the time at yard sales and thrift stores for a couple bucks. I like them a lot better than the modern ones and if one goes "bad" I don't worry about it, since I only spent a couple bucks. LOL I now have a "collection" of irons of around 12. LOL
Old 12-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Well inexpensive doesn’t mean cheap. Sometimes those irons are the best ones. Expensive doesn’t always mean good. Ask many of us Rowenta owners how that went. I’ve never had luck at thrift stores because I only see irons with scratched up sole plates.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

NZ- I'm leery of expensive irons. ( think Rowenta)- bad experience for me.
I have a Shark that I really like. It wasn't expensive but not cheap. I don't use steam either. I
use a spray bottle with water.
I find steam seems to shorten the life of an iron.
I had a Black and Decker for years and it worked well. In fact I replaced it last year with the Shark.
I had it a long time.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

I buy the cheaper ones... usually B&D. I don't put water in them. I use a spray bottle. The irons last a long time. I think I replaced the last one after several years because the teflon was peeling of the bottom.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

I used a classic Black & Decker for years. Replaced it with a Rowenta, didn't last very long. I bought two at Dollar General and they shut off after 8 min.s but heat up fast. Oldest Granddaughter had given me one like those two and lasted several years. They cost about 15.00, at that price I can buy several for the cost of an expensive iron. They are steam but I use a water filled bottle.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

As long as it's 1800 watts the brand isn't that important to me.