Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tin Lizzie owners? >

Tin Lizzie owners?

Tin Lizzie owners?

Old 04-14-2015, 04:01 AM

I have a Viking Mega Quilter that is made by Tin Lizzie. It has spent more time at the factory in the 4 years I have had it than in my quilting room. Last year I treated myself to a HQ Avante. The mega quilter will be used for an anchor on someone's boat. LOL Seriously, I would suggest simply looking at the lines of people testdriving other machines and then how many are at the Tin Lizzie booth. The last 3 quilt shows I have been to had no one at the Tin Lizzie booth, and hoards at the HQ booth and the other booths.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 AM

I have had my Tin Lizzie or bout 5 years and have had no problems. I would not have been able to afford many of the other brands. Dealer is 50 miles away. I quilt, very simply, about 60 quilts/ throws a year for charity, plus some of my own. Sometimes what you buy is what you can afford.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:16 AM

I have a Tin Lizzy. The nearest dealer is about 200 miles away. To put it simply, If I could go back and do it again. I wouldn't. I would probably go with a HandiQuilter. Just too many problems and too hard to get help.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by milly35 View Post
I know that most L/A owners love their machines. I am have researching midarm and long arm machines and test drove the TinLizzie 18 ESP at a Quilt Show this weekend. Just looking for some input on TinLizzie machines.
There are some good TL groups on yahoo.com. Tinlizzie18.com is the company link...videos, support, info, etc. I have the TL18LS (2009) and have a Qbot V3 attached.

The encoders have cables that can go bad (wire inside breaks if crimped or bent too much, etc.). The encoders are the stitch regulator...and they have "tires" (rubber rings) that do crack and wear out...you have to replace them now and again (as with any longarm with encoders).

These are excellent machines for the price.... Customer Service has come a long way since I got my Lizzie. The company had a deal with dealers that the customer had to go through that dealer (so the dealer would learn to fix issues, which didn't happen, many ignored the customers requests for help). TL company has taken the customer service back for the most part.

Our TinLizzieLongarm yahoo group has a lot of really good, helpful folks. If you are looking for info...join, you don't have to be an owner. TL company also has the Queen quilter on sale right now...nice low end entry machine. But the larger, computer operated machines are wonderful, if you can afford them (I couldn't).

Oh, and the TL18 company has a Facebook page.

The TL18ESP is the upgrade from my machine. I've heard lots of kudos from users of that machine...biggest issue was the metal frame by Grace (had a bump in the middle)...TL company now provides their own metal frame...or wood frame (mine is wood). If you do get a TL made machine...be sure to register it. It let's them know the origins of when and who put the machine together...helps them help you.

We have members with really older machines & the company still helps them...they do have to pay for parts/shipping...but they will help.

It took a bit for Ernie (owner) to understand that one disgruntled customer could post online and really hurt the company...one reason he decided to bring CService back in house.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 AM

I have the Viking Mega Quilter, floor model, purchased in Portland, OR from Montavilla Sewing in 2008. I had issues with it right off the bat when the stitch regulator didn't work... the service I got was to say "don't use it, it never works right" and that was it. I bought the Shirley Stitcher for it and had issues with it and was told they only sell, they don't support. Tried to get help from Tin Lizzy and never ever got a response. Finally found that if I wiggled the power cord it would make the machine run, and I was told that I had plugged it in too hard and broke the mother board. After many miles to service and many $$$$ they got it back to me, and I do use it.... not happy but it is paid for, so it's what I have. The computer does OK, will not run smooth for free motion. Would not touch any kind of tin lizzy product again!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:55 PM

I paid $6000 for a Tin Lizzie 18 with stitch regulator in 2007, haven't had any problems, never had it serviced. I clean and oil it and enjoy! I can use any kind of thread if I adjust the tension. I think it is a great machine for the money!
Old 04-14-2015, 06:14 PM

I have a Tin Lizzie I bought through Sewing Machines Plus. I had one problem and they told me how to fix it over the phone. I got mine last April, so I have had it one year. She is great. I have quilted almost 100 lap robes forcharity. I have a friend who got one from a nearby dealer and she has had problems and the dealer was not much help. She doesn't know much about the machine. Anyway, I think it depends where you get it from.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:21 PM

I purchased an older Lizzie at an Estate Sale, I haven't put the frame back together or set it all up, I'm just hoping it all works well. If not there is a lizzie repair/sales about 3 hours from me, if I can't figure it out DH can drop it off & hopefully they can get it in good working order. I admit I bought it without trying it out but with plugging it in it seems to run well & fast. I admit also to jumping the gun buying the long Arm before I really learned to quilt. So far I'm just doing SITD on my domestic machine. Wish me luck when I finally get DH to start putting the frame together & oiling it where we were told to by my LQS. If it turns out to be a lost cost hopefully I can trade it in for a Long Arm that comes with some classes. I don't even know how to thread the fabrics through the bars. Needless to say I am a complete self taught learner to quilting.
Jeri
Old 01-01-2020, 07:57 AM

Default i need some help

I have an Tin Lizzie 18 it wont sew. when i try to sew the needle will come down but will not go back up even when i try to turn the fly wheel on the back. it seems to me that there might be something stuck in the motor but before i take it apart or send it to have repairs i want to fix it myself.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:56 PM

So for those of you that have a TinLizzie 18 - what is the difference between that and an Queen Quilter 18? I'm being gifted a Queen Quilter 18 and am trying to assess if it is a worthwhile endeavor. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated!!