Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tin Lizzie >

Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie

Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by momkeil
I have a Tin Lizzie, have had about 3 years or so. I don't get to do as much quilting as I like, but I like the long arm and the frame. I've been pretty basic with stippling quilting, just did a baby quilt and tried different patterns for the sashing, etc.
I do have a question, if someone can help.

I seem to have problems with my thread breaking regularly during quilting no matter how fast the speed is.
Also, I've notice that especially at the beginning of the quilt the bottom thread is very loose and gets bunched up. I think this is what causes the thread to break. I have the quilt tight, I have the presser foot down, I have the top and sides basted, what else can I do to avoid this problem, it looks bad and I spend a lot of time taking out stitches and re-sewing.
Thanks
What kind of thread are you using? And what weight? I just got my Tin Lizzie in December and tried out various threads. I found that the thinner weight threads also broke for me. I do best with 40 wt all cotton thread in both the top and in the bobbin. I also think your tension may need some adjusting for your bottom loose thread--but it may help if you use the same weight thread in teh bobbin as you have on top. The Dealer that sold me the Tin Lizzie said she uses nothing but 40 weight all cotton thread--so I am kind of going be that. When I did experiment with other threads--I also had breakage.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM

I have the Tin Lizzie 18LS and am perfectly happy with it. I bought her used last year and struggled a bit at first. But, after I got the hang of it, I did okay. I don't quilt for others, just for myself and for comfort (aka charity) quilts for our guild.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by adnerb25
Hi BabsO,
I have a Tin Lizzie 18LS. I got it at the quilt show in New Jersey two years ago. I have only done about 3 quilts on it as I am still working and can't seem to find the time. The quilts that I did do came out nicely. I am still learning a lot about longarm quilting. There is a yahoo group specifically for the Tin Lizzie that you might like to join. I have gotten a tremendous amount of information from the ladies on that site. They are really knowledgeable. As far as the poles, I like them much better than the first set-up that I had. I used to have the Pfaff GrandQuilter and Inspira frame. It did a beautiful job, but there just wasn't enough space to quilt in. I went with the Tin Lizzie
because I tried a few of the machines out at the quilt show and I liked the way that it moved the best. It was also in my price range. Good luck and have fun.
Brenda R. (New Jersey)
What's the web site for the Yahoo group?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by meme peggy
I am looking at the Tin lizzie sixteen (I think ) and the Bernina 440...can't decide between the two...any one can shed some light on either for me...I really think the Lizzie is my slight first choice...thanks, memepeggy
Big difference...I don't believe the Bernina 440 is intended to be put on a frame...I had a 440 QE and loved it, but I think the distance between the needle and the right side of the machine is about 7 or so inches, a far cry from the Tin Lizzie's 16", so really no comparison. That being said, I loved my 440, and now have a 730 which is an awsome machine, but would love to have a Tin Lizzie or any long arm. I do have a Juki on a frame which has a 9" throat, and it works well, but more quilting space would be awesome!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM

I am using the King Tut thread that they sent with the machine. I am using the same thread in the top and bottom. I'll check the tension. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 AM

[email protected]
Old 02-09-2011, 01:46 PM

I bought a Tin Lizzie in May of 2010 and it has never worked longer then three weeks at a time since. The repairman from the dealer has been out several times but just replaces the part called the encoder and makes no effort to find the root of the problem. I have left messages at the company many times and they seldom call you back. One time Ernie Floyd, owner
of the company (he says) did call back, asked questions and said he would send a part the next day. The dealer called later and said they would not replace thaqt part and since then I have
left three messages and have never gotten a return call yet
Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM

I will have to check out that Yahoo Group as I'm very interested in owning a Tin Lizzie. I have heard such wonderful things about them and would really love to own one some day!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:43 AM

New to the sight and looking forward to hearing more. I have the Ansley 26 with the Phenox frame.

Cheryel
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Sometime it has to do with the bobbin and it needs a little tightning, If your thread is to loose it will cause it to bunch up. Getting the tension right, I think is one of the hardest parts.