Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tiny little notion/hint worth it's weight in gold! >

Tiny little notion/hint worth it's weight in gold!

Tiny little notion/hint worth it's weight in gold!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:50 AM

"how on earth do you still run your thread through it"

This is what I was taught in my first needle-turn applique class: Place the thread on top of the Thread Heaven and hold it down lightly with your thumb or finger and pull the thread through. Run the thread through the Thread Heaven 2 or 3 times (remember, lightly!), then smooth the thread down between your thumb and finger to make sure there aren't any clumps of Thread Heaven on the thread and to smooth the fibers down.

I do this whether its a new box or an old one. Like Louise, I have one in each hand project box.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:50 AM

Take it out of the box, I make a little ball with it
Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I do have a question, though, for those of you who have used it for awhile....once it gets below the lip of the box, how on earth do you still run your thread through it?
I had the same problem! This is how I solved it: I get some of it out of the container, turn it into a small ball, hold it and then just run the thread through it between my fingers.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 AM

Oh good!! I have that problem of bitting off more than I can chew when hand sewing (too long a thread)
Old 08-12-2014, 06:43 AM

...speaking of thread.....yes, I too love that little blue box.....but......now I am working on GFG with 1"hexies....two yrs ago I did one with 1 1/2" hexies, used regular sewing thread to baste onto freezer paper (actually by machine) and hand joining, with just a sewing needle.. This time ' round after reading all sorts of hints/techniques..and buying silk thread and milliners #11needles...then having to buy the bohin threader because I just could not thread that bugger needle! I am just not enjoying this journey, where I did enjoy my first one......I guess too much information sometimes is not a good thing......I am not happy with that silk thread, switched to mettler like silk stuff, not happy with it either....both shredded way to easily..,so I am going to use my "regular" cotton threads.......that milliners needles eye is just as sharp as the point...stabbed myself way too may times...back to just a regular needle...did some gluing instead of machine bating..jury still out on that...may go back to machine basting and bunching flowers together for hand work....so far, though, I do like that needle threader,except the time the needle flipped out and took me awhile to find it...flashlight ad magnet in hand.......my tale of woe for the day.........
Old 08-12-2014, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I have been using Thread heaven for over a decade now. There is a little blue box in every sewing kit I have.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 AM

Oh, you roll it into a little ball?! Well that's super easy. Thanks ladies!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 AM

Okay, I need to be educated. What is Thread Heaven? I am off to google it, but I suspect the information from folks here will be more valuable. I have figured out it makes hand sewing easier, and I could sure use that!

Thanks.

Dina
Old 08-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Banned

From what I have read you can also use it on the needle of your machine.

Of course I have not done this and not sure I want to try it on my 2 machines
that I JUST had serviced in June.

But Thread Heaven is an awesome thread conditioner that is so unlike beeswax.
It doesn't "crumble" like beeswax, it stays soft and easy to use.

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Okay, I need to be educated. What is Thread Heaven? I am off to google it, but I suspect the information from folks here will be more valuable. I have figured out it makes hand sewing easier, and I could sure use that!

Thanks.

Dina
Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Okay, I need to be educated. What is Thread Heaven? I am off to Google it, but I suspect the information from folks here will be more valuable. I have figured out it makes hand sewing easier, and I could sure use that!
HI Dina. I have used this for over a decade when hand stitching my binding to the back. Just run your thread over the "wax" with your thumb. It should help prevent your thread from knotting up.
Attached Thumbnails thread-heaven.jpg  

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 08-12-2014 at 08:42 AM.