Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tiny little notion/hint worth it's weight in gold! >

Tiny little notion/hint worth it's weight in gold!

Tiny little notion/hint worth it's weight in gold!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 AM

I read that you can run your thread through a dryer sheet and it won't tangle. Has anyone tried that?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:02 AM

I've never seen this before. So my question is where to purchase? Can you buy it at Joann's or Hancock's or do you get this at LYS? Thank you everyone. As a beginner quilter I have learned so much from everyone here.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
...speaking of thread.....yes, I too love that little blue box.....but......now I am working on GFG with 1"hexies....two yrs ago I did one with 1 1/2" hexies, used regular sewing thread to baste onto freezer paper (actually by machine) and hand joining, with just a sewing needle.. This time ' round after reading all sorts of hints/techniques..and buying silk thread and milliners #11needles...then having to buy the bohin threader because I just could not thread that bugger needle! I am just not enjoying this journey, where I did enjoy my first one......I guess too much information sometimes is not a good thing......I am not happy with that silk thread, switched to mettler like silk stuff, not happy with it either....both shredded way to easily..,so I am going to use my "regular" cotton threads.......that milliners needles eye is just as sharp as the point...stabbed myself way too may times...back to just a regular needle...did some gluing instead of machine bating..jury still out on that...may go back to machine basting and bunching flowers together for hand work....so far, though, I do like that needle threader,except the time the needle flipped out and took me awhile to find it...flashlight ad magnet in hand.......my tale of woe for the day.........
Sorry you are having problems with your hexes. I have been using the plastic hexes which are a bit thicker than the paper but I was taught over 10 years ago in a hex class to use quilting thread. Try it and see if it works for you. Good Luck !!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:14 AM

I, too, have been using Thread Heaven for years. I never do hand sewing without it. With Thread Heaven on my thread, if I get a knot in the thread as I am sewing, the knot is easy to get out. Oh, when it gets low, I scoop the remainder out of the box, roll it into a ball, and run my thread through the ball until the ball is gone. I keep lots of Thread Heaven on hand as I never want to be without it.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:38 AM

Thread Heaven is awesome! I heard about it years ago and bought some. It definitely ranks up there with the best purchase I've made.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Banned

I got mine from Joann's and a LQS.

Best to buy it at Joann's if you have a coupon though
I bought one last week and it was about $5.49 even
the quilt shop up in the mountains was cheaper than
that (I say this because NORMALLY most thing in this
LQS runs higher priced than in the city).

Originally Posted by Crafty Bee View Post
I've never seen this before. So my question is where to purchase? Can you buy it at Joann's or Hancock's or do you get this at LYS? Thank you everyone. As a beginner quilter I have learned so much from everyone here.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:10 AM

I love that stuff. I started using Thread Heaven about 10 years ago when I was really into counted cross stitch. I wouldn't be without it. In fact, I have several friends who quilt and each year I give them a small gift bag with useful tools and one year I included the Thread Heaven in their gift bag. They loved it.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:03 PM

I will look for it , maybe it will help my thread for my chicken scrath. Barb
Old 08-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Thank you. I will definitely be looking for thread heaven. What a nifty hint for both quilting and cross stitch! Learn something new every day on QB!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:23 PM

I like Thread Heaven as well. It works great. I would use my finger to push the thread down.