Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A tip for Bernina BSR users

Blog Entries
    Guess it pays to read the instructions. My BSR was acting up yesterday and I went to the Bernina web site to see if I could get some help. Two things - they say to set the needle position 2 points to the left (swear I never heard that before) and they caution use of chalk as a marking medium because it clouds up the lens. I had been using the "pounce" product and now that I'm off that and have moved the needle things are going really well!

Blog Entries
    I would never have thought about the chalk, I wonder if lintier fabrics (flannel/fleece/minky) and dust in the air would also have the same outcome? :D:D:D

I have never heard about moving the needle to the left - never. But hey, I think I'm gonna give it a try. Thank you for this info!

Blog Entries
    I have never used the chalk but was thinking about giving it a try. Guess i wont now. lol.. And moving the needle was never anything I was told but now I am going to give it a shot.. THANKS..

Thanks for the info!

I knew about keeping the lens clean, but I never heard about moving the needle over.
    The only thing I was told was that it had trouble working on red fabric.

Is there a reason why the needle is moved to the left? Am really curios.

I've used my BSR a TON and I've never had to move my needle over. It's also not in the directions of the BSR unit. I think it may give some folks better stitching, but mine works great as is. Plus, I use my straight stitch plate for FMQ (better stitch quality) and moving the needle over would take away this option.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I've used my BSR a TON and I've never had to move my needle over. It's also not in the directions of the BSR unit. I think it may give some folks better stitching, but mine works great as is. Plus, I use my straight stitch plate for FMQ (better stitch quality) and moving the needle over would take away this option.
    That's a good point Candace.
    I have never heard of moving the needle either. Mine works great with center needle position........but I'm going to give it a try.....without the single hole stitch plate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana2Sew
    I have never heard of moving the needle either. Mine works great with center needle position........but I'm going to give it a try.....without the single hole stitch plate.
    The move the needle instructions comes from the Bernina web site. They don't give a reason for it - but I just figured I would try it. Here's the site reference:
    http://www.berninausa.com/faq_detail...i5944-sUS.html

Blog Entries
    I use the straight-stitch plate when quilting with my BSR, never a problem...but I will try nudging the needle over a little the next time I use it with zigzag stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana2Sew
    The move the needle instructions comes from the Bernina web site. They don't give a reason for it - but I just figured I would try it. Here's the site reference:
    http://www.berninausa.com/faq_detail...i5944-sUS.html

Right, that's if you're not getting good, "desired" results. They're not necessarily recommending you should to do this, only if the default settings aren't optimal for you. Sort of trouble shooting, I suppose. But, by all means, if you're not getting good stitching try it.

Blog Entries
    thanks so much for telling us about this...I also have never heard anything about moving the needle over..not sure I understand why there would be a need to do that, but will give it a try....