Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: A tip for Bernina BSR users

  1. #1
    Super Member paulswalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,103
    Blog Entries
    3
    Guess it pays to read the instructions. My BSR was acting up yesterday and I went to the Bernina web site to see if I could get some help. Two things - they say to set the needle position 2 points to the left (swear I never heard that before) and they caution use of chalk as a marking medium because it clouds up the lens. I had been using the "pounce" product and now that I'm off that and have moved the needle things are going really well!

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would never have thought about the chalk, I wonder if lintier fabrics (flannel/fleece/minky) and dust in the air would also have the same outcome? :D:D:D

  3. #3
    Senior Member Helovesme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park TX
    Posts
    757
    I have never heard about moving the needle to the left - never. But hey, I think I'm gonna give it a try. Thank you for this info!

  4. #4
    Super Member fidgety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Iowa transplant to Va
    Posts
    1,767
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have never used the chalk but was thinking about giving it a try. Guess i wont now. lol.. And moving the needle was never anything I was told but now I am going to give it a shot.. THANKS..

  5. #5
    Super Member Doreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    El Paso Tx
    Posts
    1,431
    Thanks for the info!

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Mich.
    Posts
    1,400
    I knew about keeping the lens clean, but I never heard about moving the needle over.
    The only thing I was told was that it had trouble working on red fabric.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    374
    Is there a reason why the needle is moved to the left? Am really curios.

  8. #8
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I've used my BSR a TON and I've never had to move my needle over. It's also not in the directions of the BSR unit. I think it may give some folks better stitching, but mine works great as is. Plus, I use my straight stitch plate for FMQ (better stitch quality) and moving the needle over would take away this option.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I've used my BSR a TON and I've never had to move my needle over. It's also not in the directions of the BSR unit. I think it may give some folks better stitching, but mine works great as is. Plus, I use my straight stitch plate for FMQ (better stitch quality) and moving the needle over would take away this option.
    That's a good point Candace.
    I have never heard of moving the needle either. Mine works great with center needle position........but I'm going to give it a try.....without the single hole stitch plate.

  10. #10
    Super Member paulswalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,103
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana2Sew
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I've used my BSR a TON and I've never had to move my needle over. It's also not in the directions of the BSR unit. I think it may give some folks better stitching, but mine works great as is. Plus, I use my straight stitch plate for FMQ (better stitch quality) and moving the needle over would take away this option.
    That's a good point Candace.
    I have never heard of moving the needle either. Mine works great with center needle position........but I'm going to give it a try.....without the single hole stitch plate.
    The move the needle instructions comes from the Bernina web site. They don't give a reason for it - but I just figured I would try it. Here's the site reference:
    http://www.berninausa.com/faq_detail...i5944-sUS.html

  11. #11
    Senior Member BRenea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Seguin, TX
    Posts
    560
    Blog Entries
    1
    I use the straight-stitch plate when quilting with my BSR, never a problem...but I will try nudging the needle over a little the next time I use it with zigzag stitches.

  12. #12
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana2Sew
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I've used my BSR a TON and I've never had to move my needle over. It's also not in the directions of the BSR unit. I think it may give some folks better stitching, but mine works great as is. Plus, I use my straight stitch plate for FMQ (better stitch quality) and moving the needle over would take away this option.
    That's a good point Candace.
    I have never heard of moving the needle either. Mine works great with center needle position........but I'm going to give it a try.....without the single hole stitch plate.
    The move the needle instructions comes from the Bernina web site. They don't give a reason for it - but I just figured I would try it. Here's the site reference:
    http://www.berninausa.com/faq_detail...i5944-sUS.html

    Right, that's if you're not getting good, "desired" results. They're not necessarily recommending you should to do this, only if the default settings aren't optimal for you. Sort of trouble shooting, I suppose. But, by all means, if you're not getting good stitching try it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member 4dogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Asheville, NC(cool, green mountains)
    Posts
    647
    Blog Entries
    1
    thanks so much for telling us about this...I also have never heard anything about moving the needle over..not sure I understand why there would be a need to do that, but will give it a try....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.