Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Esqmommy, for each quilt the strips are all the same size. That is just strip sizes I would stay away from. If you strips are falling really close to the same spot in the print I would cut a small strip off to move it a bit.

Borders always make a quilt grow fast. And they can be effective in framing your work.

I love the ones where some of the hexagons go into the border.

Those are cool. I have not tried that as of het. Maybe one day.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cutebuns
    Those are cool. I have not tried that as of het. Maybe one day.
    Me neither but I plan too. They're pretty straightforward - you just cut your border pieces at 60 to match the edge of the hex. :-D

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blahel
    Cutebuns - thanks for doing this for everyone! You are probably sick of people asking you this but is my fabric suitable for the BOM? I have looked and looked and finally found this fabric. If it is not suitable I would rather you say so and I will use it for something else. Fabric is expensive over here and for my first OBW I was a bit scared to spend $20 metre on fabric I really liked just incase I make a huge mistake!
    I love the fabric but I hesitate to put the thumbs up for this one. There is a lot of background that is probably going to look the same when it is put together. The print is to small for what I personally would want to cut for that one. It would cover most of the flowers in one. And so there won't be much of a variation. With the differnt colors in this you would want to be able to seperate them a bit. And if you do you will get a couple of background pieces per. As well as having to cut pretty small.
    Thanks for your honest reply as I was thinking the same thing. Will just have to go out and look some more.

Yea when I was fabric shopping yesterday I would take the fabric to the measuring table and look to see the repeats. Didn't have a 60 ruler so I will have to order one online.

Bailey I was wondering what the name of the fabric you are using is... I know I saw that fabric before and I would like to use the same fabric... What is the repeat???
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Picked up a 60 degree ruler today and discovered that not all 60 degree rulers are the same. - some of the angles differed by up to 1/8 inch if you lay one on top of the other. Go figure. Does this matter? I figured it wouldn't matter as I'll use the same ruler for all the cuts. But I thought it was strange. Anyone else see this? There were 3 different rulers by three different manufacturers. I got the Fons and Porter one. Thought it would be the safest to use for size accuracy.

if you have a protractor I would check it with that, (found in math sets, the dollar store carries them) if you don't have one, maybe cut 6 triangles out of paper and if together they make a full circle with no gaps you are good to go, if it is off, the bigger the block the more it will be out,

Mimisharon: Good luck with the quiting. See my PM to you

Peace and Prayers

Thanks, MissGiggle, I answered. I'll take all the suggestions/help anyone has. I don't want to substitute food for butts.

I'm going to post some of my "hex's" I'm thrilled with the way some of them came out. Next will be sewing, :shock:
    I wish I could get a better color picture, it's a pretty blue with a purple stripe. I'll try outside tomorrow with no flash. 3 1/2 inch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mimisharon
    Thanks, MissGiggle, I answered. I'll take all the suggestions/help anyone has. I don't want to substitute food for butts.

I'm going to post some of my "hex's" I'm thrilled with the way some of them came out. Next will be sewing, :shock:
    I wish I could get a better color picture, it's a pretty blue with a purple stripe. I'll try outside tomorrow with no flash. 3 1/2 inch
    I love the way your hex's came out - soft and subtle pattern, but such a pretty vibrant color. I have the same blue cutting mat. Looking forward to more pics.

And prayers and thanks to your military family.

Those look awesome Sharon! I can't wait to see them all together,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvrazz
    Bailey I was wondering what the name of the fabric you are using is... I know I saw that fabric before and I would like to use the same fabric... What is the repeat???
    Thanks
    The fabric I am using has a 24" repeat. It is RJR fabric - Sakura.
    Hope this helps.

You guys are all doing a terriffic job! Fun watching all your hexs come to life. They are fascinating!

Blog Entries
    I got my ruler today yipeee, but now I am waiting patiently (not) for my fabric to arrive from the States, hopefully it will get here by mid next week.
    Fabric is too expensive here in Australia and quiltingcloud put me onto whittlesfabrics.com. Their prices are fantastic and they got right back to me when I asked for the fabric repeats on different fabrics.
    I emailed 3 different stores, 1 took about 3 days to get back to me and 1 I still haven't heard from (and they had the nicest fabric, they won't be getting any of my business)
    I can't wait to join in, everyone's blocks look fantastic :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mimi...love your blocks. That is going to be such a pretty quilt. So subtle, yet so striking!

Ok, I've been following along, but being shy about doing this.
    YES! I SAID SHY! I'M SHY!!
    I think I understand, but really need to see it in person. Silly or idiot me would totally screw up a good piece of fabric by just reading. I'm more of a hands on person. Have to have someone watching me in case I do something stupid, that way they could slap me and stop me before disaster hits.

But, all the fabric and pictures are beautiful! I cannot wait to see everyones creations!

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Ok, I've been following along, but being shy about doing this.
    YES! I SAID SHY! I'M SHY!!
    I think I understand, but really need to see it in person. Silly or idiot me would totally screw up a good piece of fabric by just reading. I'm more of a hands on person. Have to have someone watching me in case I do something stupid, that way they could slap me and stop me before disaster hits.

But, all the fabric and pictures are beautiful! I cannot wait to see everyones creations!

:lol: :lol: Terri said she's shy. :shock:

I am hands on too, Terri, but I swear if you follow the directions she's given us, the pictures, and count twice every time for everything (don't ask) you'll be whizzing through this. You've already done harder things.

Cute is awesome answering questions and getting you on track again.
    Hugs

Um...yes, I'm shy and quiet and sweet and innocent.
    Don't choke on whatever you are drinking. lol

No, I've tried this before and totally screwed up. I really NEED to be hands on with this one, honest...trust me!!

I know Cute does awesome work...I've seen it, it's awesome!

Thanks Bailey,

I went online to Thousandsofbolts.com and found that I had this fabric on my wishlist just didn't remember the name.
    I ordered all that they had 6 yds. It was such a deal only $4.15 a yd. I have ordered from them before so I know the quality of there fabric... I am one happy quilter, now I don't have to go fabric shopping today and I can finish the quilt that I am working on...

If you want to try with me Terri. You can take pictures along the way and I can watch as you go. But it is also up to you. You can always just head over here so that I can show you in person. Everyone is doing great!

If you want to try with me Terri. You can take pictures along the way and I can watch as you go. But it is also up to you. You can always just head over here so that I can show you in person. Everyone is doing great!
    Well, with everything I have going on at the moment, it has to go on the back burner.
    Maybe once I get moved and settled again, I'll try. Ya never know, just might show up on your doorstep. Could grab others along the way and we could have a quilting party when we get there. :)

Show with bells so that I k ow you are coming and I can make sure it is clean enough for more than one person to work in my sewing room.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast