Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting >

Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 AM

I absolutely LOVE the black and white!!!!! How cool! I say that you should make more than one quilt. Can't wait to see more of this.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 AM

I am not doing one of these quilts, but have been following along and will do one later. Have wanted to comment before on most all the fabric choices....have loved them all. This one has inspired me to speak up.

Both sizes are gorgeous. Looking at your fabric I could not visualize how you would be able to get the designs you did. I think this is going to be beautiful
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I am abedextious so I tend to naturally cut with both hands. Some people never get into it. I am not in my sewing room but here is my suggestion. Especially if you are using the triangle ruler. I know we usually start on the left of the fabric and go right. Try starting at the right and going left. I know some would slap my fingers as you are supposed to cover the piece you are cutting. But skip it and move on to the next triangle. When I get a chance I will take more pictures of what I mean
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I am self taught all the way. Never taken a quilting class and I learned to sew from my mom. Ask anything and everything you need.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Love the blocks. I have the same thing with he first one I did. Didn't like the bigger blocks so cut smaller. I but a border between though I don't have the second set figured out and on yet.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Cutebuns, thank you so much. I really appreciate your help. I thought I couldn't cut with my left because I have the curved-handle Olfa that doesn't lend itself easily to changing hands... but maybe I can figure out how! Looking forward to more cutting photos.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM

And I'm glad you folks like my fabric. I had no idea what it would look like in blocks, and almost talked myself out of it because I was worried it would be boring. Real glad now I trusted that smaller-but-insistent little voice in my head saying, Go for it, it'll work out!

Of course I now also want to make a really colourful one like you all are doing, lol...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
Love the blocks. I have the same thing with he first one I did. Didn't like the bigger blocks so cut smaller. I but a border between though I don't have the second set figured out and on yet.
Oh, oh, forgot to say! You wouldn't consider posting a picture of that quilt, by any chance? :)

Also the landscape OBW you keep mentioning haunts my feverish mind, would dearly love to see that one, too, if you were willing to show a picture...

And I'll shut up for now. Sorry for swamping you people with such a torrent of posts all at once! Just so excited about all this...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Beautiful fabric, girl, and I do the contortionist thing to cut mine, too.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

some rotary cutters are easier to use with both hands than others, some you have to change the blade position to the other side to get a good cut and if you are back and forth that doesn't work well,

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-25387-1.htm

this is the landscape,

Don't worry about the number of posts,I like your excitement, and I am so glad you went for it,