Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting >

Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Old 09-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

THe one that I used to demo is still sitting here, not done yet, I of course like any good quilter got sidetracked, I have finished a couple of other quilts, this one just isn't a priority, what I will do is find an all over design that I like and use it, though a simple stipple or swirl type one is easy and fast to do, I have recently seen where they do two separate all over designs together and may use this quilt to see about where that can take me,
Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 AM

I got my fabric cut, thanks to your directions...here's a pic of fabric & fabric lined up.My avatar shows several as they look
before sewing in halves.Still have more to do, but have run out of steam.For one thing I don't care for the fabric & no way I want a quilt of it.Plan to do a table runner or wall hanging.

Originally Posted by cutebuns
Since I don't want a huge quilt, I am going to use 12 of the repeats, so I am going to count 12 and cut an inch or two longer just to make sure I get the full repeat in,
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112183.jpe   attachment-112184.jpe  
Old 10-02-2010, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by justme2
I got my fabric cut, thanks to your directions...here's a pic of fabric & fabric lined up.My avatar shows several as they look
before sewing in halves.Still have more to do, but have run out of steam.For one thing I don't care for the fabric & no way I want a quilt of it.Plan to do a table runner or wall hanging.

Since I don't want a huge quilt, I am going to use 12 of the repeats, so I am going to count 12 and cut an inch or two longer just to make sure I get the full repeat in,
Having fabric that you don't care for after you've got it cut into strips & half hex's happened to me too. Those half hex's have been sitting in a pile for over a year now. My intention, was like yours, to make them into a table runner, but that hasn't happened yet.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:44 AM

Big part of the problem for me is trying to work with fabric I don't like.It's good stuff,Moda & I have a bunch of it.....but just don't like it for OBW.No sense in cutting more & more.Can't force myself to work with fabric or patterns I don't like.You would think I could figure this stuff out before buying books/fabric/rulers?

Originally Posted by fireworkslover

Having fabric that you don't care for after you've got it cut into strips & half hex's happened to me too. Those half hex's have been sitting in a pile for over a year now. My intention, was like yours, to make them into a table runner, but that hasn't happened yet.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Maybe someone else would lime to finish the projects for you then. Package them up and mail them off and you don't have to look at it again.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:02 AM

I was playing with the hexagons & knew there was no way they'd be as pretty as all the ones posted in pics.Was afraid to use diff fabric...in case I ended up with 2 bunches. :D

Maybe using one as a center with borders would make a table topper. Not sure...might be too small.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:16 PM

I was playing with the hexagons & knew there was no way they'd be as pretty as all the ones posted in pics.Was afraid to use diff fabric...in case I ended up with 2 bunches. :D

Maybe using one as a center with borders would make a table topper. Not sure...might be too small.
Justme2, I just love your fabric (would you let us know which one it is?) and the blocks you show in your avatar. :shock: Would love to see it finished. It's so intricate and I think the shapes really lend themselves to the OBW block design. But it's up to you of course, whatever gives you joy.

I'm just posting this because I started intensely disliking my Amber OBW while I was working on it, but I'm so glad now that I kept going with it. Putting it away for a while helped, also the encouragement from the wonderful ladies on this board. I'll be stitching the binding on this weekend, can't wait to use it at last.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:34 PM

Thank you. Haven't decided what I'll do. Will be watching for a pic of yours. Just love seeing pics.So many of you have found a perfect OBW fabric.
Here's the fabric. It's kind of bright, but not that bright!

Originally Posted by salmonsweet

Justme2, I just love your fabric (would you let us know which one it is?) and the blocks you show in your avatar. :shock: Would love to see it finished. It's so intricate and I think the shapes really lend themselves to the OBW block design. But it's up to you of course, whatever gives you joy.

I'm just posting this because I started intensely disliking my Amber OBW while I was working on it, but I'm so glad now that I kept going with it. Putting it away for a while helped, also the encouragement from the wonderful ladies on this board. I'll be stitching the binding on this weekend, can't wait to use it at last.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115090.jpe  
Old 12-27-2010, 07:54 PM

Cutie here are the two I had questions about, how wide to cut strips and such.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-148649.jpe   attachment-148650.jpe  
Old 12-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

So when looking at the prints you want to see what will give you the best variation in your blocks. For both I would cut about 2-2 1/2 at the biggest. Most people know how I like small pieces. I would even consider cutting the black and whit a tad bit smaller. If you are still going to do a wall hanging it won't add that much more work.

On florals I usually measure a med sized flower for the size. It is totally subjective to who is working on them. Once you do one or two you get a better idea what to look for choosing prints and cutting sizes.