Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting >

Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Leave the tips on. It makes it easier to match things up later.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by marcias
CB, I plan on starting a small one this weekend. I had cut a stack & whack years ago and do not have it put tog. but this seems to sew tog. so much easier than the diamond s&w. I have the other half of that length of fabric uncut, so will use it to tiptoe thru the hexagons. It is the only fabric that I have that is not washed after bringing home. lol After seeing all these obw blocks, I am hooked. I have the OBW 1st book I borrowed fm. a friend. One question...someone asked would it be better to cut off the tips to make the blocks easier to sew tog. I did not see a reply but have not gotten to the sewing thread yet. My juki F600 does not have a single hole throat plate and I'm afraid it will eat the tips.
If you are afraid the tip will get eaten, then use some 2" squares to use as leaders and enders (http://www.quiltville.com) ... stitch the squares together two at a time into twosies, and then the twosies into foursies (scrap quilt coming up) . rather than cutting between each of your blocks, you stitch the little squares together, leave them under the needle, and cut between the squares and your block ...
or!
Something I always counsel my students to do between any pieces being stitched together. Always stop with your needle down between pieces. I never use anything on my machines but that bigger whatever it is under the foot <g> (not able to remember anything right now) .... anyway! but, I always use the leader and ender thing, AND! Always stop with the needle down between pieces ... you should find that your tips getting chewed up will be a thing of the past <wave>
Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Thank you, CB and Omak, for answering my questions.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by marcias
CB, I plan on starting a small one this weekend. I had cut a stack & whack years ago and do not have it put tog. but this seems to sew tog. so much easier than the diamond s&w. I have the other half of that length of fabric uncut, so will use it to tiptoe thru the hexagons. It is the only fabric that I have that is not washed after bringing home. lol After seeing all these obw blocks, I am hooked. I have the OBW 1st book I borrowed fm. a friend. One question...someone asked would it be better to cut off the tips to make the blocks easier to sew tog. I did not see a reply but have not gotten to the sewing thread yet. My juki F600 does not have a single hole throat plate and I'm afraid it will eat the tips.
If you are afraid the tip will get eaten, then use some 2" squares to use as leaders and enders (http://www.quiltville.com) ... stitch the squares together two at a time into twosies, and then the twosies into foursies (scrap quilt coming up) . rather than cutting between each of your blocks, you stitch the little squares together, leave them under the needle, and cut between the squares and your block ...
or!
Something I always counsel my students to do between any pieces being stitched together. Always stop with your needle down between pieces. I never use anything on my machines but that bigger whatever it is under the foot <g> (not able to remember anything right now) .... anyway! but, I always use the leader and ender thing, AND! Always stop with the needle down between pieces ... you should find that your tips getting chewed up will be a thing of the past <wave>
Thank you, that is really helpful. If I get to sew today, I am going to try that. Here is the link

http://www.quiltville.com/leadersenders.shtml
Old 01-29-2011, 09:08 AM

I am completely incapable of doing this :( :( :( :( :(

This will be the first quilt I have gotton half way done and then threw in the trash.

I considered adding cubes but I don't think that will help and I don't want to put even more effort into such an ugly quilt.

I can't tell whick blocks are dark and which are light, so my daughter tried to salvage this.

Is there any hope? Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

This is the result after I worked at it for days :(
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141025[/ATTACH]

This is my daughters attempt after 30 minutes. She is willing to keep working at it but, "not right now."
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141028[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141020.jpe   attachment-141023.jpe  
Old 01-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I like the first layout the best. I think it looks great.

I found that taking a picture and standing back I got a better look at what is what. And feel free to ask here. Lots have had help with the layout.

Don't give up. I love it.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:21 AM

I'm not good enough at this to offer help,but yours looks a lot better than my jumble.Think my problem comes from not being able to see what it will look like.Love your colors & it will be a nice OBW.The experts will help.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by fryguymoore
I am completely incapable of doing this :( :( :( :( :(

This will be the first quilt I have gotton half way done and then threw in the trash.

I considered adding cubes but I don't think that will help and I don't want to put even more effort into such an ugly quilt.

I can't tell whick blocks are dark and which are light, so my daughter tried to salvage this.

Is there any hope? Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?
I think it is great. Cutie's suggestion of the picture helps a lot, and I like the first layout best. Now, I am not the expert (or as good at this as Miss Cutie), but my very first reaction to the first picture was .... the white/lighter hexagons might dash across the quilt at an angle, and the darker ones on one side, the lighter ones at topside .... can you try it with the dashing white/light on an angle?
Don't throw it away <g> I see great possibilities with it. And, another thing you might do - - though, I don't know that I have ever seen it done is to take hexagons of the original fabric or complimentary color and scatter them at random throughout the quilt .... it might be that you feel chaotic looking at the hexagons and need a place for your eye to rest ....
it all has great possibilities ... take it out on Mondays and look at it the pictures for five minutes <g> Just sort of give yourself a bit of a break, maybe <wave>
Old 01-30-2011, 02:15 AM

Your blocks are very nice......Love the colors
Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 AM

Still Sunday here.