Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 02-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mimisharon
Oh, you beautiful doll, you wonderful beautiful doll!!! Have I told you lately I love you??

I did 3 1/2 in. strips. You have a real talent with that EQ, I would always be playing with it. Good I can't get it, it's hard enough to stay off here. :lol: :D

Hugs
I love ya too!!! :D:D:D
Here ya go.... 3 1/2" templates

3 1/2" templates for the side pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19857[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-19857.pdf (16.1 KB, 112 views)
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Rach you asked for honest - I love the centre, yes you have some jumps from light to dark but that is the nature of the fabric and not a bad thing, it makes it more striking. But I think the border extensions distract, they draw the eye out and away whilst the eye is busy trying to get to grips with the contrasts in the centre. I'd take 'em out and just have a simple, solid, dark frame, with the skinny gold/tan in between. JMHO! But great job!

Cheryl - I love your layout with the diagonal effect through the centre!

Amma - you rock! I've always cut the points off, except on two where I cut whole triangles in the background then trimmed their points oss - too lazy! So thanks so much for doing that EQ thang!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 AM

Rachael, I also think the brown border extensions distract from the beautiful center of the quilt. Although it's a little work, it will be well worth the time spent to take it out and put a black piece there. If you decided to do a design in the black border, those extensions may get in the way of it. OR, you could do the same brown extensions on the other black border so it looks like you are framing a black square in each corner.

This site is the place to get opinions, and that's my two cents! :D

By the way, the quilt is absolutely gorgeous!! :thumbup:
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
I'm just sick about it. Now I think it looks lame. Talk me out of it ladies. That's what I get for putting the borders together first, instead of sewing them on one at a time. Grrrr....I want your serious opinions on this one. Do I take out two sections and redo them?
Leave them in ~ I think that's what makes your boarder!! It's beautiful JUST THE WAY IT IS ! !
Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM

Cheryl222 & Esqmommy Your quilts are lovely> I like your borders Esqmonny but if you are not please with them maybe it would be better to change them. I find if there is something that I don't like about a quilt it will always bother me.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Cheryl222 & Esqmommy your quilts are just beautiful!
Esqmommy, I would change the border simply because you asked so it must bother you and think how much more work it will be to fix after rather than now. Either way, whatever you decide it is gorgeous.

Bailey
Old 02-25-2010, 11:32 AM

They are all so beautiful!

Esqm I'll give you two-way advice! I like your quilt with the borders as they are, I found it very striking. It does draw the eye outwards a bit. But a lot of OBW quilts have hexagons reaching out beyond the inner borders; they draw the eye outwards big time and people love them nevertheless. To my eye your border is a lot more contained than "reaching hexagons". Although I can also imagine it as beautiful if you were to remove the extensions and give complete focus to your gorgeous hexagon layout! Sorry not to be helping with your decision! lol
Old 02-25-2010, 11:46 AM

I'm still hunting for a fabric to work with my black and cream. I know what I want, and every fabric I've seen that might be it... is out of stock. I'll get there yet.

Meanwhile I've been eating into another fabric, I started cutting that one when my machine was playing up and I couldn't sew. That one might now end up becoming my first! :roll: No layout to show yet, maybe by the end of the weekend. :)
Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 AM

Okay, I took off the borders and will redo. I'll post when it's done. Grrrrr...I hate this, but I'll be really happy when it's put together properly. I know it :)
Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 AM

And soon enough, you won't remember the time it took you to redo it; instead you're appreciate your beautiful quilt all that much more! :D