Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Your quilt is stunning. The darker colored quilts are my faves but love all these Hex quilts. Gorgeous.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:25 PM

i don't know how i managaed to miss this as it went along, but i hope everyone will show us how they end up quilting theirs. they're all so beautiful. cutebuns, thank you for starting this thread.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
OK here is my last try at this goofy quilt. Please let me know what you think! Where do I need to move whatever I need to move? :? :-D

Really I am so greatful for everyones help. I do know I will need to make more hexex and possibly a few cubes.
I think on the 3rd row down from the top and the 3rd hex in from the left (the mostly yellow one), should be exchanged w/ the hex that's two over further to the right ( this one has yellow and pink in it). After that, I'd say you're done. But as many have discovered there's really no one way to arrange these.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
Kyia,
I love your quilt. It is spectacular.

Thank you so much!

Kyia
Old 04-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Hi Blue Bell I think your quilt is lovely. I keeped changing mine around and around. After I had it all sewn together I saw places where I could have changed them again. there is a point where we have to stop moving the blocks and say "No More" and be happy with what we have if not we can keep on changing.Your quilt is beautiful
Old 04-05-2010, 05:56 PM

I'm really hoping to get this off the design wall and onto my sewing machine...looking for advice on hexagon moves and whether to include the "fence".

I have to tell you that I showed my son a picture of this (design wall) and he asked "What is that building doing in the design?" ... which made me wonder. Does it add or detract? I was trying to mimic (sort of) the fence (at least I thought it was a fence) in Encroachment, page 75 of the OWB Encore book. Thought a fence was more appropriate than a cube for my animal print.

So what do you all think? I'd like advice on where to move the hexagons and whether the "fence/building" is a good idea or not. The triangles that make up the fence could be used instead for some interesting hexagons. Or I could make some cubes. But I must say I'm kind of tired of designing and want to move on to the next step.

Animal print with "fence"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]45844[/ATTACH]

Original fabric 8" repeat
[ATTACH=CONFIG]45845[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-45844.jpe   attachment-45845.jpe  
Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana
I'm really hoping to get this off the design wall and onto my sewing machine...looking for advice on hexagon moves and whether to include the "fence".

I have to tell you that I showed my son a picture of this (design wall) and he asked "What is that building doing in the design?" ... which made me wonder. Does it add or detract? I was trying to mimic (sort of) the fence (at least I thought it was a fence) in Encroachment, page 75 of the OWB Encore book. Thought a fence was more appropriate than a cube for my animal print.

So what do you all think? I'd like advice on where to move the hexagons and whether the "fence/building" is a good idea or not. The triangles that make up the fence could be used instead for some interesting hexagons. Or I could make some cubes. But I must say I'm kind of tired of designing and want to move on to the next step.
I think the contrast between the parts of your fence and the rest of your hex's is too great, so it really stands out too much. I myself don't care for it in there.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM

i agree. the blocks don't really really look like animals anymore. they look like earthy shades of color, forming wonderful patterns, so the 'fence' doesn't really connect with it. i'd like it better without. i love the way the shades blend, btw.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Love it without too! But what do I know? Mine is a mess :lol:

Love your fabric too!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Break up the fence, leave part of it in, scatter it around a bit more. The cubes don't accent the beauty of your quilt, instead they draw the attention away from your quilt. I like the lay out of the hexs, and the it is truly a beautiful quilt.