Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kyiav10
My top also does not lay flat. THe centers pucker a little and the borders are wavy. I will put up with it.

Kyia
when someone is snuggled under and all warm and cozy, will any of that matter??? Of course not! <g> That is a GOOD thing! <wave>
Old 03-31-2010, 06:55 PM

Alaskasunshine here are my suggestions, when/if you do these repost your pics and I will try to help fine tune! :)

Cheers!
Rachel
Attached Thumbnails attachment-39784.jpe   attachment-39832.jpe  
Old 04-01-2010, 04:44 AM

Salmonsweet,
After reading about lots of people using triangle rulers to cut their hexagons, I think the way I used my ruler with it's 60 degree lines on, was better and more accurate. My ruler is an Omnigrid 6" X 24". After cutting my stacked fabric into strips, you line up the ruler's 60 degree line with the cut edge - I used the one closest to me when sitting at my table, then cut along the outside edge. Pivot the ruler around and line up the other 60 degree line w/ the cut edge and you can now also line up the first 60 degree line with the edge you just cut, to make sure everything's lined up and cut the second side. This worked very well for me and didn't require me to buy another expensive ruler.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

My top has a few puffed hex's, but not many. I don't think it is due to my sewing skills LOL but because I starched my fabric stiff, and it was stored on my design wall (and still is :roll:) I agree with omak, folding/handling will continually cause stretchomg of those edges.
I think if you use a little loftier batting, or maybe two layers under the "poofy" places, it will help to fill out those areas less noticeably.

I love your cheetah quilt!!! And the sampler is gorgeous, it still has the underwater look to it and I think it would make a stunning quilt!!! :D:D:D
Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Alaskasunshine here are my suggestions, when/if you do these repost your pics and I will try to help fine tune! :)

Cheers!
Rachel
Hey Rachel,
So I moved everything because I had to move some furniture and part of my design wall is taken up. I will post pix today (hopefully today)

Thanks so much for your help in this dreaded project! It has not been very much fun. I still LOVE OBW though :thumbup:
Old 04-04-2010, 12:44 AM

Thank you everyone, for your further comments and suggestions, I'm learning tons again through this.

I've had a friend visiting, so it's only now I'm getting to update (in fact she's still here but not awake yet :D ). My starch is taking forever to arrive, so I tried taping my bubbly top taut and flat to my "design floor" :mrgreen: , sprinkled it heavily with water and left it overnight to dry. And voilą.... MUCH better than before. I still have a few hexes that bubble a bit and the borders have hints of waves - but it looks a lot more manageable to me now.

Originally Posted by omak
I was thinking about you this morning, and remembered you mentioned machine quilting ... FMQ, I assume <g> anyway, if you get all the layers basted/pinned together, the quilt is good to go, and if I were working with your quilt as you have described it, I would definitely start in the middle, just to ease the fullness away from that area ...
if your quilt is laying on a flat surface, can you put your hand down and almost contain all the bubble in one, relatively small area? Then, you might consider in JUST that area, doing some following the seam lines before you go into flowing lines, working out from the middle ... sort of a fine line - - have to at least anchor the bubble down, but you don't want to flatten it out so much that the bubble GROWS as it moves away from the area ...
the more space between your quilting lines, the more likely that the fabric will "level" out following the washing and drying event.
Hope I haven't confused you <wave>
Omak this makes superb sense to me, thank you! I'll definitely follow your suggestions when I sandwich and quilt this. The center is going to get large meanders anyway, and I'll do the same on the borders and depending how flat the areas look, I might fill them in more with smaller meanders or leave them. Cool.

Originally Posted by amma
My top has a few puffed hex's, but not many. I don't think it is due to my sewing skills LOL but because I starched my fabric stiff, and it was stored on my design wall (and still is :roll:) I agree with omak, folding/handling will continually cause stretchomg of those edges.
I think if you use a little loftier batting, or maybe two layers under the "poofy" places, it will help to fill out those areas less noticeably.

I love your cheetah quilt!!! And the sampler is gorgeous, it still has the underwater look to it and I think it would make a stunning quilt!!! :D:D:D
Thank you Amma, glad you like them!!! :D:D:D

And thanks so much for suggesting puffier batting, I love using that anyway. Might not have dared put it into this one because of the bubbliness... seems the opposite it true! lol

Happy Holiday!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Salmon that turned out beautiful! Regarding the ripple effect, that could be that some of those edges on the 60° bias got slightly pulled out of shape - it happens! Try the starch and press gently, NO WIGGLING! :lol: Next time, (and I'm sure there WILL be one!) you could try starching your layers before you cut the strips/triangles and maybe a be a bit more gentle with those poor little triangles! Did you turn them here and there rather than keeping the straight of grain always on the outer edges? Of course, you CAN turn them but I find that then you have to be really careful not to pull them out of true. I only do the turning thing if I feel I have to, because of this. :-D
I have been thinking this over a lot... I bet this is why some of my blocks puffed.... I had starched my fabric stiff, handled the pieces gently, but I did turn them every which way but loose to see the different effects :roll: I just couldn't help myself :lol:
I haven't added the borders to mine yet...so I think glue basting them may be a good idea... The glue should help to stabilize the edges even more.

I will try keeping the straight of grain on the outsides next time around and I bet the puffines decreases, thanks for mentioning this k3n :D:D:D
Old 04-04-2010, 01:22 PM

OK here is my last try at this goofy quilt. Please let me know what you think! Where do I need to move whatever I need to move? :? :-D

Really I am so greatful for everyones help. I do know I will need to make more hexex and possibly a few cubes.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-44341.jpe   attachment-44342.jpe   attachment-44343.jpe  
Old 04-04-2010, 02:27 PM

I would take the predominately pink hex and put them in the center in a semi S shape...then graduate the others out to the sides with the lightest ones on the outside. The way you have them doesn't accent the variation in the hexes...which is a shame because the subtle beauty of the design is in the graduation of the colors...Give it a try...I think you'll be happier.
Happy Easter
Old 04-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Kyia,
I love your quilt. It is spectacular.